Author Topic: Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908  (Read 1540 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:25:43 »
Hello.  Does anyone know whether it is the case that if 6 people show an interest in having an allotment then the above act requires the local authority to provide a site?  Sounds a bit too good to be true to me but I thought someone here might know. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 12:58:53 »
That is certainly my understanding of the Act, though how the h*ll you would force a reluctant Local Authority to do so I have no idea. ::)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 13:24:47 »
check that the relevant sections have not been repealed! with acts this old it's perfectly possible that this has happened.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2004/40014--d.htm

trying to find the latest version of this act.

maybe here?
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmselect/cmenvtra/560/56016.htm
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 13:56:19 »
Yes, it's still law. However, there's no time limit on the time the local authority might take to identify and/or lease a suitable site, and there may be some exemptions for some urban areas. My chum in Downham Market is trying to get the local authority to think ahead of the game in the light of the huge number of new houses being built in the town, where there are NO allotments. It's something that local authorities keep very quiet about, for obvious reasons.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 16:50:06 »
Thanks everyone.  There is a huge recreation ground at the end of my road which gets very little use.  There would still be plenty of space left over for children to play and people to walk their dogs so I might just look into it.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal