Author Topic: any suggestions childfriendly patch of ground on my plot  (Read 1698 times)

luckystar

• Quarter Acre
I set aside a 4 sq m area in my plot for my children where they can sit, read, eat, do homework( ???)--after they've run around the allotment and tried not to trample on our veg.

This section of the plot is the last unweeded still under weed suppressant area (hooray to me the human rotovator).

Any suggestions about what I can do with this area?

I guess I could put in grass, but, does that mean I have to mow it regularly?!

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
Re: any suggestions childfriendly patch of ground on my plot
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:51:27 »
I take my 4 grandchildren to the plots regularly, and i have watched a young couple and their children who are quite new to the plots.  I have an extra shed (what a struggle it was (aluminium) to get there!!! But that is my grandchildrens hideaway, to have their space from rain, sun and me! 
But the young couple have got a  little tent and the children seem to delight in it.  Why not ask the children what they would like to do/have there?
Don't forget the picknic box never fails, and in the cooler periods a bonfire with some of those smoked sausages on skewers, they are already cooked, just need heating over the embers and they are really fab.  Just before i go home, the kids always dig/pick some produce ~ they don't really do alot of tending!!!
The children will never forget these 'free' moments, they are magical for us all.
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:54:21 »
How old are they?

In an attempt to persuade my children to stay within watchable distance when I'm in the garden, we have had the following in/around the veg over recent years, with varying degrees of success

- sandpit

- wigwam to sit in

- own patch to grow stuff, with little bench

- few of those pre-cut decking squares you can buy, with child sized chair and table

- a "stream" made from an old RSJ and a couple of buckets

They still prefer to run round with bamboo canes whacking and poking each other, though.  >:(

luckystar

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 13:05:07 »
Definitely sword fighting with bamboo poles! Ages 8, 5,4.

The kids do enjoy gardening. They have their own plants to tend. They dig holes. They step on my plants. They "cook'' weeds.

They don't like picking up snails though no matter the bribe. ::) :)

The tent sounds like fun! Thanks!

But, what do I do with the ground? It gets pretty muddy.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 13:10:56 »
It depends on the age of your children, we have a little pond that's full of tadpoles at the moment, it's grassed around the pond and they sit on an upturned flower pot with bamboo cane and twine pretending they're fishing. Obviously not a good idea for very little ones but ours now aged nearly 5 and 7 are old enough for this. I also want to build them a little teepee/wigwam type structure from bamboo canes and garden fleece to play in. The rest of the time they just enjoy bug hunting, digging, picking and eating when they can (peas, beans, sweetcorn, strawberries and raspberries are a great hit). Climbing on the horse manure heap (it was like a small mountain until recently) is a big hit too :-\ ::) If you grass the area it will need cutting just like a lawn, that means about once a week during the summer so unless you have some form of cutting device stay away from grass. Other covering could be stones (avoid small shingle if you have cats around as they use it for their toilet) or bark chipping, haven't seen it used but perhaps clover could work as a ground cover?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 13:21:14 »
I have exactly the same problem!  We have a small area we want to use for picnics bbqs etc but just don't know what to put down so it is low maintenance but cheap.

(By the way we have put a cheap swing up for my girls.  We badly painted it a horrid brown so no one would pinch it).
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 14:12:49 »
my two are 5 today and 3 in september they love digging in a small patch and throwing it at each other picking up worms and making po pure (the smelly stuff you by for a nice smell dried flowers etc ) then when fed up with that they sit in a puddle (if there ) r on the ground  iv asked them what they would like they asked for a bouncy castle BBQ and a ice cream van so i think ill have to do a wooden seating area and a small hut type thing just in case it rains

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 19:05:36 »
We have taken a wide variety of toys to the plot for our 26 month old but have still failed to convince him that the pile of old wood with nails sticking out is not the best place in the world.  ::) We've consequenty gone through the pile and taken out the nails. Generally he just potters about with a small spade or a trowel, badgers us to play football and junior golf. Last year he helped with the hoeing and wasn't supervised closely enough and hoed several courgettes. Obviously that wasn't is fault - he'll be more closely supervised this year!

Happy birthday to Lou Lou's big sister!  :D
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 22:09:42 »
I'm lucky enough to be able to park my car next to my plot so that my youngest (3) doesn't have to actually get out and possibly get "dirt" on her - she takes after her father's side of the family! She has a colouring book & pens on the back seat of the car.

The five year old runs about digging holes, pokes worms and beetles, stands on my potatoes >:(, picks stones out of the beds, etc, saying "can I help you Mummy?" approximately every 30 seconds until i find her something to do. Strangely, it's always a job at the other end of the plot from me and there's always a beautiful bird about that mustn't be frghtened away by talking - funny that! ;D

Am waiting for a shed to arrive so that they can have a den (it's really just an excuse to have somewhere to shut them in! ;D) and am fencing off half of the back "work area" for them. Have promised the OH (who is the biggest child of the lot) that i will include somewhere to hang a hammock.

Am thinking of bark chippings for the surface as grass needs too much cutting (i want to lay in the hammock sometimes as well!)

Tabbycat

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 09:39:18 »
I think bark chippings is the way to go for me too.

My Kids love the lotty as they can play for ages, make mud pies, home made dens, draw with chalks, ride bikes, play with their hoops etc....they have a fantastic time, outdoors in the fresh air...we always take snacks to eat drink as well.

It reminds me of how we used to play when i was little...all those years ago!
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:21:56 »
Cats love bark chippings >:( >:( >:( >:(

luckystar

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 10:54:13 »
Something green would be nice. Soft to sit on. Isn't there a mow free alternative to grass?  :-\

Definitely going to start a teepee. I'm going to use 6-8 long bamboo poles, secure them at the top and try to get some vine growing up them. Wonder if I can plant beans or if they'll just get tread upon.  ::)

The kids are going to love this! ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal