Author Topic: Blind Daffs  (Read 1421 times)

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Blind Daffs
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:44:59 »
Hi, having moved to a new house a few years ago the daffs all produced leaves but only a few flowers.  We though maybe it was a fluke, so have watched over the past 4 years and now get no flowers at all.  Lots of leaves but no flowers.  i feed the areas every year just after flowering and leave the leaves to die down naturally. 

What could be wrong?  Should i just dig up and start again.  Should they be planted 2.5 times their own depth. 

If not exactly right, is it better to be too deep or a bit shallower.

Any advice much appreciated.

Alit ???

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Blind Daffs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:29:16 »
I must admit that if you have been feeding them and they still do not flower, then it is time to dig them up, split the clumps and replant, deeper is better than shallow, even down to 5 inches of soil above the bulb top. Hard work I know, but better than no flowers.
Gardening is the great leveller.

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 14:00:40 »
thanks.  i'll dig and replant then.  with regards to splitting clumps.  do they stop flowering if the clump gets too big?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 15:27:57 »
Yes mmmmm ish. The middle of the clump gets congested and the bulbs have no room to grow so they tend to be pushed up to the surface, is a simplistic explanation really. Also the middle of the clump misses out on any food going too.
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal