Author Topic: My Fish  (Read 2227 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
My Fish
« on: April 22, 2006, 19:39:47 »
??? ???

I am getting rather anxious about my fish in the pond.  I have not seen them since last November   ??? ??? ??? when the first frost appeared.  Our temperature has been going up this past week and thought that they should have risen to the top by now.  My pond is largish and deep at over 3ft so they usually lurk at the bottom.  I have 12 or 13  large Orfe and one Koi Carp.  Maybe the first swallow is here but my fish are still asleep!!!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: My Fish
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 22:53:25 »
:o Kingfisher? ??? Maybe? ??? Sincerely hope not. :(

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 13:51:14 »
Don't worry Carol, mine have been lurking at the bottom alot this spring.  Mind you, I have lost a few to the dreaded Heron I think >:(  I have had to resort to purchasing one of those awful plastic ones to try to deter the real herons from visiting.   I'm sure your fish will put in an appearance soon.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 14:03:21 »
OOOO Roy, if a Kingfisher visited my Pond I would be absolutely delighted and would hand over one of the Orfe on a plate   ;D ;D ;D  But that wouldnt happen cos my fish are almost a foot long and the wee kingfisher couldn't manage that.   Mr Heron has been know to visit but not seen him near my pond this winter, strange.  I think you could be correct Pat, maybe time will tell and they will pop up soon.  The water is clear enough and I can see down to the bottom of the Pond but they go into hiding, don't they?

;D ;D ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 21:57:03 »
;D Oops! I mean't Heron ;D My mind went Blankety Blank, Blankety Blank, Blankety Blank Doh! :-[ I doh like diluted pop. ;D

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 22:30:48 »
Still no sign of them,  think they have gone   :'( :'( :'(

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:32:40 »
Oh Carol, I do hope not :'(  I have seen mine but they are not very active at the moment as the water temperature is still quite cold.  Mind you, I think the heron must have got more than I thought, I have only seen three fish at the moment :'(  If you have alot of weed in your pond they could be hiding until the temperature rises.  Let us know if and when they appear.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 20:34:13 »
;D ;D ;D  Pat, my fish are up.  They were seen yesterday the first really warm day but didn't come up to the top until tonight and I think the lot have survived the winter.  I didn't count them but there was more than 10 of them.   Great eh?   summer is here   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 08:52:06 »
There you are Carol - told you so ;) ;D  I'm so pleased they have put in an appearance.  Mine are still lurking at the bottom and not bothering to come up much - I think they are gorging themselves on taddies (poor little things) so are not bothered about coming up for any more food.  I think I may have done the heron an injustice as a couple of days ago I caught one of my cats 'red pawed' with one of our fish in her mouth.  I managed to rescue it and put it back in the pond but unfortunately it did not survive :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal