Author Topic: plot life revisited  (Read 1518 times)

brommers

plot life revisited
« on: May 18, 2006, 14:44:53 »
hello there
last October i posted a question on this site, i don't know if any of you remember,

"hello there everybody, I hope you can all help me, I'm 35 and am currently in my 2nd year of a photography degree course at the university of central Lancashire, I have been taking pictures of an allotment near to where I live since January (near moor park in Preston)and I am hoping to produce a book of images and some local recipes, as an assignment essay I am looking into the benefits of allotment holding, not just the fresh veg etc but more the benefits that other people may not think of such as mental health, exercise, social side for example and would love to hear your thoughts on the subject, do you think allotment holding is getting more popular,why are their existence in towns important, did you acquire your plot after a lengthy wait on a waiting list, did you acquire your plot quite quickly without a wait, has your plot been handed down to you, do you share your plot with family or friend or do you prefer to work alone, any thoughts, stories, advice would be very much appreciated and if you have any recipes you are willing to share then I would also be delighted to receive them, thanks for your time - Sarah"

just wanted to say a huge thanks for the responses you sent me they were so helpful, if you wanted to look at some of my images then the link is below

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3012349

i hope your future harvests to be large and plentiful!!!!
cheers
sarah

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: plot life revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 18:16:15 »
Now I remember. Like your photos.

But I'll leave your questions to the lotterers.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 20:08:05 »
My first plot was as a resultof a waiting list. I cleared it of huge varieties of weeds and have now grown out of it. Asparagus beds, lettuce, rasps, goosegogs, red and blackcurrants, everything. No water.

My second had no waiting list and was first designated as an allotment in 1939, but has declined since. I have  a huge area with water on tap and no strict rules as to what I do there.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 21:12:46 »
Hi Brommers,
I moved into our small village in 1978. Before I made an offer on the property, I made sure that an allotment was assured - priorities of course!

In the job that I was engaged in with a large International Company, stress was to the fore and along with job satisfaction, the added achievements of veg. growing and consumption added a wonderful addition to life generally.

After early retirement in 1995, I changed track to an outside pattern to a 'sole trader' role.
This involved an outside job working in the Local Community in which I live. The exercise has kept me in physical and mental fitness along with my continued allotment holding.

Allotment keeping is, in my opinion, an essential ingredient in 'life happiness' for want of better words. The eating of wholesome food and the consumption of red wine is something to strive for.
Many thanks for allowing me to share views!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 21:42:08 »
Really enjoyed looking at your photos - thanks Sarah

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal