Author Topic: Club Root Experiment  (Read 2740 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Club Root Experiment
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:41:38 »
Was ordering some root trainers yesterday and saw some poly type 2 litre bags, aha thought I, wonder if I can grow my brassicas in there to keep the club root at bay! (Chap on my site grows his in plastic bags with some success, and I did my brussels in cut off plastic bottles last year!)

So here is the thing, I have too many for my one plot so am throwing out an experiment, for the first 10 people that ask, I will send you 2 bags to have a go and we can compare success/failure at the end of the season, better leave your comments here, cos 10 PM's would clog up my inbox!!
Dottie P
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
Re: Club Root Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 20:58:20 »
Sounds good I'll have a go, I'd decided to limit my brassicas this year but will be doing some sprouts and purple sprouting at least so am interested if you still have the bags.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 04:24:23 »
Knew there was some reason that I'm up at this time....ME TOO PLEASE!  8)

Do you have my address, btw?

Lish :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:13:30 »
Stuffed, can you PM me your addy,
Lish no I don't keep peeps addresses, not quite as fun as your chocolate experimet, which I conduct with great regularity with various bags of maltesers! ;) so can you PM me your addy, ta luv!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 21:25:27 »
I tried a remedy given to me by an old boy who always grew great cabbages and sprouts. Just put a very small cube of rhubarb in the hole you have made for your plant. It worked for me and I know the ground was infected the year before.

The plots either side of me still suffered but  I only had two out of 90 plants affected. I know you can dip the brassicas in a solution to keep club root at bay and it might be that rhubarb has the same chemicals, but at least you could still stay organic.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 21:36:02 »
ACE, thanks for the rhubarb cube trick - bumper crop this year, so I'll certainly give it a go. Never heard of it before, but like what I'm hearing (seeing?) now :)

DOTTYP - MANY THANKS, FROM THE BAG LADY  8) ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 22:03:08 »
Just wish there was a similar short cut for white rot but fingers crossed I am stillawaiting a rise in soil temparature to see if the problem recurs this year or whether it was just something that looked like white rot last year (only lost about three garlics to it)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:14:24 »
I'm with you on that Red Clanger, my best plots with Vine and Fig, are useless for alliums as it was all the previous tenant grew for about twenty years. Only another 6 years to go before I can try it again!
 ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 15:31:29 »
I have tried the rhubarb trick, can't say I noticed a huge difference, but was going to give it a go again this year along with the bags!
White rot, dreaded stuff, keeping my fingers crossed too that my few that looked suspicious last year, was something else!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 15:58:35 »
I've been given some sprout plants this morning, 1st time I've grown them ;).......one per bag, do you reckon? Or should I do my sprouting broccoli? Calabrese?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 17:53:18 »
One per bag I would say Lish, or do 2 sprouts and 2 purple Sproutin to see if it helps! (erm, I did send you 4 bags didn't I?)

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 09:23:14 »
Thats what I'm doing 2 sprouts and 2 broccoli  :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 09:31:16 »
QUESTION......2 sprouts per bag it will be, then. I was given a strip of (un-named) sprottie plants yesterday.....they're abt 6" high......should I grow them on in root-trainer type pots pro tem, or are they ready now to plant and put out now, please?

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 13:34:42 »
I tried a remedy given to me by an old boy who always grew great cabbages and sprouts. Just put a very small cube of rhubarb in the hole you have made for your plant. It worked for me and I know the ground was infected the year before.

The plots either side of me still suffered but  I only had two out of 90 plants affected. I know you can dip the brassicas in a solution to keep club root at bay and it might be that rhubarb has the same chemicals, but at least you could still stay organic.

I was given this tip last night when planting out my cabbage and cauli, so I tried it. Good to hear it worked for you.

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 17:39:23 »
QUESTION......2 sprouts per bag it will be, then. I was given a strip of (un-named) sprottie plants yesterday.....they're abt 6" high......should I grow them on in root-trainer type pots pro tem, or are they ready now to plant and put out now, please?

I think 1 plant per bag.
I believe DP was just suggesting trying doing some of each instead of using all the bags for sprouts. I wouldn't think these bags are big enough for more than one plant each.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 17:41:29 »

I think 1 plant per bag.
I believe DP was just suggesting trying doing some of each instead of using all the bags for sprouts. I wouldn't think these bags are big enough for more than one plant each.

DUH! Re-reading of course that's what DP meant....and looking at the bags, they'd be jolly small sprotties ::)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 08:54:31 »
;D Lish! Yes one per baggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal