Author Topic: FAO EJ OKRA!!  (Read 4186 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: FAO EJ OKRA!!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 17:29:40 »
Ever the optimist, you EJ....note that you write in the plural ;D

Anyway, if anyone can get them to fruit, it's going to be you (how can I ever ever forget that pineapple 8))

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 16:18:53 »
well so far the germination has been good 12 plants growing well a bit leggy but apprx 4 " high !

im hoping that somthing will come of them at least
another member of i forgot my password

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 13:35:52 »
Wow, they sound like a real challenge!

Mine have now grown to about 2.5" also so I think I will transplant them to individual pots now, if they don't like root disturbance... So the challenge begins!   ;D
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 18:02:40 »
Having read all the info about them, I'm just going to pot-on two for me, and will do that tomorrow......the others will go into little pots - and I'm taking them to a plant sale in aid of our local Hospice on Saturday 8)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 21:11:19 »
omg, challenge !  sounds like mission flippin impossible.  If I'm going to last the course I better get into training - sounds as if we could all be maimed for life with one lapse of concentration  :P

mc55

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 19:15:28 »
news everyone - its still pretty small, but I've got 3 'pods' which I assume will develop into flowers soon !!!  and no spines in sight (yet)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 22:18:43 »
WHAT!  Blimey you are way ahead of me!  My plants are about 4 inches tall, have about 5 true leaves, and are looking more and more vine like with every passing day!  I have them now in a monster pot which I am hoping I can  slide some supports around as they grow taller.  Photo please mc55!!  ;D

mc55

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 22:39:31 »
OK, will take one at the w/e ... plant is still tiny though !

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 23:01:37 »
This caused me to rush out into the garden to inspect mine - you're way ahead,mc. No spines to report :D

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 16:12:04 »
Hmmmm.... Mine seem well behind.  Thay are about 4" tall and only have one pair of true leaves so far - they are indoors so pretty warm, should i put a cloche over them?  Do they need big pots?  I have them in pots 8" deep 6" wide, one in each.  They also have little clear "blobs" all over them, look kind of like dew, but are not - they are more like little granules of gel.  Will try to take pic but only have phone camera at mo so not sure if it will show much...
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 09:06:05 »
I'm growing in Spain and my 3 okra plants are about waist high now after a slow start!! 3 plants aren't enough!!! the OH says I have to plant at least 10 next year!! Be patient in the early stages!!

mc55

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 14:10:30 »
I've put a pic on my blog - look under 'the plot in June' ... have 3 'pods' which I assume will open into flowers.  Plant is tiny overall.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 14:30:36 »
I'll be well-pleased when mine looks like that 8) Congratulations!!

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2006, 19:49:11 »
I`m still watching ;D-when you all find one that crops well send me some seed-pretty please

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2006, 16:29:23 »
Hunted this thread out and brought it to the top. Progress report, anyone? My two in pots suffered a disaster. Think it was a fox but the pots (outside the greenhouse) got knocked over one night. Plants then were about 12-14" tall. One snapped near base, t'other looked a bit battered but otherwise OK. Got 8 little thingies dangling. No spiny spines.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2006, 18:19:45 »
Bah and humbug!  Mine were planted out with care in a lovely biiiiig pot, and they had stood stock still ever since!  Lost one, just kinda keeled over.  The rest look okay, but aren't growing!  They are in the greenhouse and I have been chatting them up, and that didn't work, so I have been ignoring them, and that isn't working......wondering if a flash might do the trick?  ;) ;) ;) ;D

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2006, 08:23:39 »
I gave my mum one of my okra seedlings, it is now abotu 18" tall and she ate her first fruits yesterday.  The plant has no spines and is covered in "dew" but has loads more flower buds and apparently tasted wonderful.  Dad has got it growing in a grow bag in the greenhouse and feeds it with the tomatoe food every couple of days.

My plants are pathetic by comparison, 10" tall, not many leaves, no flower buds or spines.

Hey Ho, if it's gonna happen I have to be patient.

Tinkie_Bear

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal