Author Topic: WEATHER WARNING!!  (Read 12632 times)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Re: WEATHER WARNING!!
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 17:51:47 »
I rely on metcheck and as I said before; it is generally very good.  One day at work I advised some guys working for me, to ensure they returned the servers my project had used, to the factory before 12:00 as it was due to start raining then... they looked at me with a strange look.  It started raining at 11:55... I had an even stranger look then!  I admitted I looked at the forecast  ;D  Last week it was due to start raining at around 18:00.  It was a beautiful sunny day and people thought me pessimistic...  It clouded over late pm and at 5.20 it POURED!!!

Okay, metcheck may not always get it completly right, but I have found most of the time they do.  Certainly far more reliable than the online BBC and ITV forcasts which were next to useless.

mat

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 17:59:02 »
like amphibian i dont wear a watch-dont need to-everyone in the western hemisphere wears one and as sandy wilton said-i've gorra tongue in me 'ead!'

as for the weather-i stick my head out of the window.
mind you-i still go out in the rain-i'm not made of sugar..... ;D
and if you stopped doing stuff in britain because of the rain you'd rarely go out!

kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 20:48:09 »
Sorry for wondering off topic ;D. What is it with peeps that need to know the time of day/night 24/7 ??? I am a little worried about people like this as I am one of them :o :P :(.

I have a watch, clock or time piece of some discription in every room of our house EXCEPT the loo and bathroom :-X :D

I have a digital clock on both bedside cabinets just in case I open one eye to check the time of day, that saves me the trouble of rolling over. ;D ;D ;D

Is there a name or a condition for peeps like me ??? :( maybe 'clock eyed' ::) ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2006, 21:33:08 »
Time keeping is something I'm a bit weird about. I HATE knowing what the real time is. I actually set clocks wrong, and can't bear it if anyone tries to put them right. Have clock in dining room that is roughly 15 - 20 minutes fast, and another there that always says four o'clock. Bedside alarm is roughly 35 - 50 mins fast, living room clock roughly 10 mins fast. No clock in kitchen. Son has radio controlled clock and car is the same, so I tend not to look at those. Clock in another room is set to Sydney time. Clock in shed - never worked and says five and twenty past four.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 21:57:23 »
me too...don't wear watch, car clock is 2 hours and 7 mins out, shed clock wrong but I never know by how much

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2006, 22:03:30 »
 ;D There must be a name/condition for both of us types..."Bonkers" springs to mind ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2006, 11:27:17 »
One of my brother-in-laws worked at the sorting office (PO) at London Bridge.He always had his clock set 45mins fast. For some reason one day he thought he hadn't set it as he wanted it so he added ANOTHER 45mins.He arrived at the local railway staion before the first train arrived..That cured him ;D
Personally I cannot abide my watch/clock being a minute wrong, surprising as I am retired and time doesn't really matter now,

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2006, 09:43:25 »
I hate being late, I can't stand it when the rest of my family just sort of amble along and turn up when they are ready. I'm another one who can't go to sleep without first checking the clock and first thing I do when I wake is look at the time.

amphibian

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 10:18:11 »
I hate being late, I can't stand it when the rest of my family just sort of amble along and turn up when they are ready. I'm another one who can't go to sleep without first checking the clock and first thing I do when I wake is look at the time.

See, I hate being late too, and I hate waiting for other people that are late. For me lateness shows a lack of respect for other people's time. Yet somehow I still don't need to check the time. I think I have a nuclear clock in my head.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 10:41:22 »
I too hate being late, but unfortunately my OH is quite the reverse and is always late - how we got together is a mystery.  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 14:23:43 »
I hate being late too, and it really brasses me off that I can't wear a watch for long before it conks out on me. That goes for quartz, digital and mechanical watches (and probably a water-clock too, if I could get one to fit on my wrist). Someone told me that my magnetic fields are weird (d**n cheek) but I can't think of any other sensible explanation for why, in almost 60 years on this planet, I haven't managed to keep any watch going for longer than 3 weeks. The only thing which works (for now, anyway) is having a mobile phone on me at all times with the screen-saver set to a time & date read-out. . . .

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2006, 18:49:30 »
same goes for me mollybloom-i've never been able to wear a watch-when i did try it went for maybe a day at the most-then stoopped...i also get 'charged up'with static electricity very easily which someone once said it had something to do with that-i can keep a charge(and give people 'shocks' for a day....anything sets me off from a car door to a shopping trolley.

well...not strictly anything..jelly doesnt...... ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2006, 18:59:29 »
Molly & Kitty. My late husband had the same problem. Years ago I bought him a Rolex watch, I took it back to the shop when it was playing up. In the end out of frustration he put a little rubber patch on the back (like we use to mend
 bike punctures with) never had any more trouble. Coincidence??
Lorna

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2006, 19:55:38 »
I gave up trying to wear one because I always got a sore under it. I tried wearing one only when I was in school, and it worked for a bit, but then I lost the d**n thing. These days I use my mobile.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2006, 20:28:13 »
but how do you balance it on your wrist robert?..........
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2006, 22:36:19 »
i have been in and out with plants for weeks now, hardening off, out all day, in at night. I have planted out a few of the flowers such as ursinia, thelesperma, rodanthe but today, i have had the plants in and out three times - the last being around 7pm when it got soooo dark i thought a massive storm was on the way. in truth, i am heartily sick of it all as it takes a good 15 mins scurrying about with trays and pots and it seems like i have been nurturing these little plants forever - in fact, i made my first sowings in January. It is alarming to see the work of months go to ruin in a moment but I ought to be used to disasters by now as they are an almost daily occurrence (todays- snails ate most of a tray of tagetes) - three months tender care is lunch for a mollusc! (are snails molluscs?)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2006, 22:51:43 »
They are indeed. We had black clouds around all day, and I was expecting torrential showers like yesterday, but they never materialised, all we had was a bit of drizzle at times.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2006, 15:01:23 »
Weather forecast for the week on country file this morning (sunday 21st ) said that there could be frosts as far down as the midlands this week.  I seem to remember we had some late frosts in May last year that took care of a few potatoes.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2006, 15:23:13 »
I gave up trying to wear one because I always got a sore under it. I tried wearing one only when I was in school, and it worked for a bit, but then I lost the d**n thing. These days I use my mobile.
Only wear mine foir school too - when i take it off, I am not at work.

Mansfield is not far from us but metcheck is reporting a drop to only 4oc here.  Real feel goes below - is this the figure that effects plants - thought wind chill was more to do with sweaty human bods.  Still, suppose I had better fleece the toms that went out (very deep) ysterday.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 15:26:35 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2006, 15:58:47 »
I'm always aware of the time -watch or cellphone - when I work. Sheer bliss to not know the time when I'm not. Really gives the day a holiday feel :D

I'm finding metcheck a real bonus....and thanks to whoever it was who put it up on the site. I've got gardening work backlogged now and know that I can pretty well forecast the right time to turn up at a job - and the approx. time I can expect to be there before rain stops play. :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal