Author Topic: WEATHER WARNING!!  (Read 12556 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: WEATHER WARNING!!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 21:35:57 »
Sounds about right

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 22:07:26 »
Amazing difference in temperature to last week when it was gorgeous.  Was raining and cold again today, after torrential rain on Sunday night and most of Monday. OH has actually put his courgettes out despite my dire warnings,  - two have gone so far.  I sowed some more seed just in case he lost more and thankfully my seedlings are all up and looking perky.  Just when I thought I couldn't get anything else in my greenhouse, it is now even more chocka block as well as our cold frame,  - just waiting for when I can put things out safely.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 23:57:54 »
It wasn't too bad here today, a bit overcast but t-shirt weather for the 7 hours I spent at the plot

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 01:52:40 »
as others have pointed out its way off and a total false alarm. not gonna get that cold

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 07:11:09 »
Reports of metcheck being unreliable seem to be true. A day later, they've changed their forecast from -2 to 6 degrees centigrade.
Sorry for the false alarm.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 08:44:38 »
Metcheck are forecasting overcast & wet here today, local radio have put out a sunburn warning, I'll happily settle for something in between for the first stage of operation "Homemade Polytunnel".
The best forecast is to have a look out of the window :)

amphibian

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 08:59:43 »
Metcheck used to be very unreliable, but I have found them to be very accurate for my area over the last two years. They revise frequently, and it is important to recheck, I do not consider these revisions to reflect innacurasies, as they are merely reporting and re-reporting their latest models, this should be expected with forecasting for anything more than a couple of days off.

I find the metoffice's single symbol for a day system as useless.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 09:46:50 »
 ;D Weather forecasts are laughable really ;D very often the Beeb will contradict itself just so they can be half right, check their website weather for your region then check the tv for the same region bet ones wet and tothers dry ;D

As MT says..."The best forecast is to have a look out of the window"   ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 09:51:18 »
I learned in chat that the delicates like it 8 degrees and above, so they are still gonna get snuggled.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 10:07:37 »
Well it's glorious sun here today finally so no better time to get down the lottie and get working.

polytunnel looking good (for a first attempt) and hoping we can get some planting done in there shortly.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 10:20:05 »
Metcheck is one of the most unreliable of the lot

So who do you use intead? :)

(glad to be back - the withdrawal symptoms were awful! No forum surfing while at work either!! AARGH! ;))

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 10:27:58 »
Metcheck seems fine to me, the nature of long term forecasting is that it is very unreliable, but it seems unfair to shoot the messenger ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 10:49:05 »
never had a problem with metcheck, i find they predict rain at my weddings to the hour without fail (excpet last time it was 2 hours late! i don't think you can rely on any forcast more than 2 days away really.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 10:56:12 »
So who do you use intead?

My eyes and nose 8)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 11:45:36 »

My eyes and nose 8)

Ahhhh, I remember those skills in the dim and distant past of my childhood.  Could tell the time with out a clock too.  How I miss the *really* country life, but unfortunately I needed a job and had to move into the very circle of hell (London and the M25) and am only now getting used to nature again, albeit at a commutable distance!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 12:49:39 »
I was extremely concerned about the 50 mph gale that the BBC weatherpeople were last night forecasting for Thursday and rushed out this morning to try and make my makeshift tomato shelter constructions more secure. Fortunately these gales seem to have died down over night.......still a forecast for strongish winds tomorrow but nothing like 50 mph! And the rain certainly arrived on time here at 10.30 this morning.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 12:58:01 »
Could tell the time with out a clock too

Funny that, I was just thinking the other day how amazingly accurate we can be at telling time without a clock, usually within 15 mins, sometimes a lot less, something to do with the body’s rhythms + experience I s'pose

amphibian

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 16:20:00 »

My eyes and nose 8)

Ahhhh, I remember those skills in the dim and distant past of my childhood.  Could tell the time with out a clock too.  How I miss the *really* country life, but unfortunately I needed a job and had to move into the very circle of hell (London and the M25) and am only now getting used to nature again, albeit at a commutable distance!

I do not own a timepiece and I am rarely late, nor unsure of the time.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 16:39:02 »
I don't know which company the port of Felixstowe use for weather but I'd like to have a link to it. One of the vessel controllers a little while back warned a crane driver that he would get hit by a little squall in about an hour, and he did. Only lasted a few mins but was good enough for us to stop work. I'd imaging info like that would cost a few pennies.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 17:14:07 »
???

I use uk.weather.com and metcheck, then look out the window!

:-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal