Author Topic: how do you attache pea net to a wigwam?  (Read 2394 times)

Flowertot

• Not So New ...
how do you attache pea net to a wigwam?
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:24:15 »
Hi All

I've planted some peas around the base of a cane wigwam, the pigeons are loving it, so I've bought some pea net but I dont really know how to attache it to the wigwam safely. ( I don't want to create a bird trap).  Any tips?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: how do you attache pea net to a wigwam?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 08:32:00 »
Surely 'pea netting' is 4" guage & designed as a climbing frame - not anti-pigeon?

Attachment? Something like this??

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:43:35 »
Had a similar thought. I treat protection and support as two separate jobs.

When the peas are tiny, I grow them under mesh to protect the seedlings. Once they are bigger and not so attractive to the birds, I remove the mesh and pea sticks go in.

Never attached netting to poles before so reading this thread with interest. Looks like I'm gonna have to get some of those clips after all for my beans tim unless someone comes up with another idea ;)

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/handtool/product/WFC3420 or apparently some poundshops have them
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:48:24 by supersprout »

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:41:28 »
Until your peas are a decent hieght use trimming from a hedge such as hawthorns. We use our boundry thinnings to thinly cover the first 10 inches or so. I imagine it still works when the peas get past that height because the birds still need to stand to eat and the base of the plant is always covered.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 10:24:51 »
I use supple aluminium wire (the size of 30amp fuse wire) and use like bag ties, slips through fleece a treat to tag on to poles. 8)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 10:40:56 »
I don't do peas, Sprout!

Gone in a flash after all that work - that's if they don't get mildew! And they are the one acceptable bought-in frozen veg.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 10:45:30 »
We tend to do wigwams and find a corner to put over the apex and find the edge to pin to the soil then wrap round until it runs out and tie to the nearest cane with twine at two or three heights. Never had any problems with birds getting caught but can make it tricky to weed if you get something nasty coming up in the middle.
When we do longruns like Runner beans run a cane in and out of one edge of the mesh add to the apex and then run another through the net at ground level to keep it by the canes and tie to a couple of the almost uprights. The green mesh isn't expensive and although both methods leave some spare at ground level because you haven't cut it you know when you get it out again next year it will be the right size!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 20:54:57 »
Could anyone post pictures about this. i find it v difficult to know how to do it. Don't have peasticks so rely on some sort of manmade suport.

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 15:07:55 »
Or you could try making a tent! Two vertical posts with another (or wire/string etc) horizontally between the uprights. Pea netting placed over the horizontal and secured to the ground with pegs, bricks or anything else suitable
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 20:51:01 »
Erm...string?  I just made the wigwam, hooked some of the bits of pea netting over and tied it on, then weighted the bottom bits down with half bricks.  I'm not up for over complicating things  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal