Author Topic: After the glut......  (Read 1795 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
After the glut......
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:20:26 »
Looking at my seedlings and plants I think I have enough to see me through my first summer on the allotment - salad, 1st potatoes, sweetcorn, butternut squash, garlic, onions, tomatoes, courgettes.  But what then?  I have sown some early purple sprouting broccolli but at the moment once the glut of summer has passed there will be nothing left!   :(

What is everyone else sowing now or soon in readiness for planting out in Autumn and eating through the winter?  

Thanks
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: After the glut......
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 08:29:09 »
leeks swedes and parsnips here, oh and jerusalem artichokes ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:31:47 »
Oh swedes are good - love mashed swede - are they easy to grow?

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:34:25 »
I don't as I don't enjoy going to the lottie in the winter so just have PSB for early spring. If lootie was much closer to home then I would but there is no shed to shelter in or make a cuppa.

Bramley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 08:37:52 »
Autumn then winter cabbages.
 Sprouts.

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 08:41:04 »
Ani - I understand completely but this is one of the reasons I want to grow all year round - I have a tendancy to hibernate over the winter months but when I first took my plot on in January I just loved spending the days up there - well wrapped up but amazed at how quickly I warmed up digging!  Cleared the sinuses and the plot together!!   ;)  I hope to have a shed by the winter which will help.

Bramley.  Cabbages - yes - thanks.  Sprouts  NO NO NO!!!   ;)

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 08:52:44 »
I've got me brussels in.  Number 2 daughter insisted - she loves sprouts.  ;D

I've been thinking the same thing.  I need to start forward planning.  I sowed cabbages, but they stayed under the compost, so I'm sowing some more.  Though a nice gent at the lottie gave me some plants last week, I don't think 8 cabbages will be enough.  And I'm behind with leeks, aren't I, since they are still in the packet.  ::)

I'll have to keep up my momentum.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 09:04:31 »
Sprouts  NO NO NO!!!   ;)

OY!!!!  :'( :'( ;)
Grew psb which didn't crop til end of March, so this year will be planting early AND late psb. Leeks, yum. September-sown Bordeaux spinach - plants picked tiny as thinnings October-Jan, then whole plants cropped til now. January King cabbage. If only I could grow parsnips, they would be there too :P

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 09:13:45 »
Oriental veg - pak choi etc? Keep meaning to grow them but never do - perhaps this year!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 09:29:09 »
If you have fleece handy then you could sow some late carrots - I pulled the last of mine for Christmas dinner - plan to try and carry that into the new year this time.  I have kale, spinach, chard, cabbages, sprouts and leeks for deep winter.  PSB and 9 star broc for late winter/early spring.  Again, if you have fleece, or a cold frame you can overwinter salad crops very easily.  My Italian mixed leaves didn't have any protection and they flourished over the winter and filled my sandwiches regularly!  I try to keep plot number one covered in crops year round, so I try to think about sowing again in August/September time, things that are slightly more butch.  There are some frech beans which can be sown in September for harvesting in early November time.  Protection is often the key - if you can cover to keep the worse of the weather off, it is possible to harvest some nice tasty treats.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 10:22:22 »
Hopefully, a selection of cabbages, psb, brussel sprouts, leeks, parsnips and some winter lettuces. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 10:55:59 »
Never had much success with swede, but still try every year, usually get something to eat for my efforts, don't forget to plant some overwinter Japanese onions from sets. Chichory is reasonable good I prefer the sugarloaf types to the raddichio. Winter radish, grate the roots onto salads, for a bit of zest, but unless you make a lot of soup they will be too big!
Grew some Pak Choi and Chinese Cabbage from bought plants last year quite successfully, when tried from seeds the slugs and flea beetle get them!
 ;D

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 11:57:30 »
Swiss Chard :) I'm in Spain and my Chard has just bolted! even though we've been eating it for months and months I'm missing it! Today im going to plant some more!!!! Just love the stuff! MMMMmmmmm Last dish was Chard cooked with cream, garlic, sultanas and spices!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 13:52:01 »
Leeks, leeks, leeks....

Swiss Chard, Black Kale, Green Curly Kale, 9-Star Perennial Broccoli, Winter Savoy Cabbage, Oriental Greens (greenhouse), Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Turnips ('northern speak' for big orange swedes  ;)), Winter Radish (black one), Scorzonera, Salsify, Celeriac, Chicory & Radicchio.

Leeks.

Apart from leeks and oriental greens, I'm venturing into unknown territory.  Lots of moduled little brassicas scattered about the cold frame; their fate in my hands  :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal