Author Topic: Help - nothing is germinating  (Read 1461 times)

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
Help - nothing is germinating
« on: May 13, 2006, 16:21:45 »
Can anyone help me, I have a plastic unheated greenhouse, I have sown several vegetables seeds: tomato, cucumber, courgettes, chillies, beans and melons.  I have placed everything in individual pots with new general compost and keep everything damp to dry.  The problem is nothing is germinating  ???  Should I keep the greenhouse door closed to keep the temperature high or keep the door open to keep the greenhouse warm/cool.  I am worried if nothing germinates in the next few weeks it will be too late.  Any help is appreciated  :)  I should add I had 45 sweetcorn seeds which all germinated.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Help - nothing is germinating
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 16:46:15 »
As the weather's warming up I'd be inclined to leave the door open, and take anything which hasn't germinated indoors. Leave it in a warm place till it comes up.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 17:51:33 »
Everything you mention requires a bit of heat to get them going, I would do as Robert suggests and take them indoors

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 18:16:04 »
how long have all the seeds been in ?
As said before they all need heat to germinate.
Chris Pea

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 18:26:05 »
as said above, and keep the soil moist, don't allow it to dry out until they poke through the soil.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 22:38:15 »
I have placed everything in individual pots with new general compost and keep everything damp to dry. 

I think seeds like moist to very moist, I had the same problem with leek seeds,  I think they were brought back from the dead by giving them a good soaking, making sure the water reaches the bottom of the compost not just the top that may appear wet. 8)

Try putting some compost in a large bowl and adding copious amounts of water and mixing it well, then sow your seeds in it and let us know how they perform. ;)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 00:58:40 »
I would keep them indoors in the warmth until they have germinated, then put them in your greenhouse. The only thing I am germinating in the greenhouse are some lettuces, because they like the light seemingly. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 02:14:39 »
My tomato's took ages I thought that they wouldn't come up and in the end they did.

Ricado

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 07:16:50 »
Not too deep and not too thickly are two good rules to follow.  Make sure the compost is level and firm before you apply the seed.  Then cover the seed with a small amount of finely sieved compost (generally twice the seed size in depth).

Stand trays or pots in a tray of water until the top glistens, cover and wait !

Most things like heat, but ive found my propagator tends to overheat some things and they race away too quickly and become leggy.
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 08:02:51 »
Get your self a little electric propogator they're not much then a tenner at b and q

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 13:12:28 »
Thanks everyone for your advice, it makes lots of sense what all of you have said, when I grew vegetables last year I didn't have my greenhouse so I grow everything indoors and everything germinated.  My husband wasn't keen on having all the pots and compost in the kitchen so I bought the plastic greenhouse thinking I could start everything off in there.  I will everything a good soak and bring it indoor.  I'll keep you posted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal