Author Topic: Bindweed and the phoenix effect  (Read 5408 times)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Bindweed and the phoenix effect
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 11:58:31 »
Seem to remember someone saying "if only it was edible, I'd never starve"
it is edible though - the young tender leaves are.
cook like any other greens it says. not tried it

i dug up a big patch last year and was well pleased to find not much has emerged since. i pull up what i can when something does poke through, at some point the plant will have exhausted itself if it cant photosynthesize.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 12:03:55 »
I've been trying constant cutting back, and although it has to work eventually, it takes years.

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 13:30:31 »
in the smallest part of my garden the triangle shaped flower bed (its only big enough for 20 bulbs  ??? really tiny ) iv used round up  every time i see a weed / bindweed popping up i zap it wait a day r two and zap it again it seems to be working as for the rest of the garden its just been coated in a weed killer for wastland ( quit appropriate) i thought coz thats what it looks like at the moment i did one application last week i just sprinkled it dry all over the place and all the rain we have had has washed it in and now most of the garden is brown even the horse tail stuff has gone  ;D so ill wait till weekend and i think ill  do the same again  ;D just in case i missed anything the first time oh im quite pleased at the moment dead weeds cheard me right up  ;D all i have to do now is dig it all out and leave it for 6 months (not that hard to do ) just keep an eye out for reapearing weeds and start creating a nice garden ye-pi

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 12:39:07 »

Seem to remember someone saying "if only it was edible, I'd never starve"

it is edible though - the young tender leaves are...

The PFAF website says caution is advised, as it is said to have a purgative effect! I shan't be trying it  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal