Author Topic: Paypal now  (Read 4816 times)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Paypal now
« on: March 12, 2004, 16:42:37 »
Hi folks - first the banks; then eBay, now Paypal.

Just had an e-mail claiming to be from Paypal, asking me to verify my credit card details online.  Not a good idea!  Don't even think about it.

All best - Gavin

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
Re:Paypal now
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 20:11:55 »
I tried to make a donation using PayPal the other evening, and it sure did frighten me.   Despite entering all my details very carefully, it threw my request out saying that my Bank had refused to accept the payment (despite adequate funds).   Then just before a page disappeared, I noticed that a date had altered, and that would have caused my Bank to throw the request out.  

Then I had a couple of e-mails from them, noticed that they were connected to e-bay, and got frightened.   So I "closed my account" - then they wanted to know why I had closed my account.    I'm going to contact Dan to look for an alternative method.
Every best wish, Colin.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 22:23:51 »
Colin, somewhere on the site  ??? possibly in news, Dan has posted a PO Box addy for postal donations.  ;D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 22:26:44 »
That's odd - I tried making a donation through Paypal not so long ago as well.  Didn't work - but I didn't pay too much attention to what was going on.

Hmmm - postal order for this geek freak too, then.  Colin - Dan's put an address in News/Donations to the Site.

All best - Gavin

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 19:39:56 »
Not me personally, but friends have had some serious problems with PayPal. Like buying on an auction site only to have more money deducted than was allowed.((allegedly)). Also getting re-embursement, in their case, is still proving a problem. It's not too big a deal to create a safe payment method where a credit card can be used for payment. Amazon for example couldn't function without such security. For the wary, people with a UK bank a/c I would have thought a cheque the safest method of payment.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 19:41:08 by kenkew »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 19:42:36 »
Not good news if paypal are giving errors !

Could someone tell me when the errors occur - after getting to paypal - after entering a donation ?

Cheers

Dan

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 20:01:47 »
It's not only 'errors' Dan, it's the freaks out there who claim to be not what they are. Anyone sending a 'E' to ask for verification of a credit card detials (as mentioned above) could really be anyone after card detials. Your idea of supporting this site through use of your recommended 'ads' is one good way to help. The other is by direct donation for those who have the means. Those people in the UK with a bank a/c can be sure that what they write on the cheque is the amount which they will pay. (When is the UK going to go 'Euro'...like what I have?....Not meant as a discussion topic!!) Sorry, can't spel 'details' tonite.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 20:03:20 by kenkew »

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 20:47:49 »
When is the UK going to go Euro? ken asks.

Hopefully, never.  Apart from the purely emotive fact that the majority of the population are against it, there are numerous overwhelming economic reasons which I should be delighted to supply if ken really wants to know.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 21:13:30 »
It's not only 'errors' Dan, it's the freaks out there who claim to be not what they are. Anyone sending a 'E' to ask for verification of a credit card detials (as mentioned above) could really be anyone after card detials.

ken,

Just to say - fully understad people being worried about internet security and crdit cards, and to reasure people that if you get an email from anyone pretending to me me, or from this site, asking for any credit card details - it is not me !

The simple solution to the email scams is NEVER send credit card details via email and only follow paypal / payment links from sites you trust.

Cheers

Dan

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 21:46:57 »
Thanks Emma Jane, Thanks Gavin, found it, noted it, will be posting a cheque next week.
Every best wish, Colin.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal