Author Topic: Gowing Peppers  (Read 10008 times)

shifty581

• Quarter Acre
  • Old digger
Gowing Peppers
« on: March 12, 2004, 16:15:07 »
Can any one give me sume advice on growing,Peppers.
I tried growing them last year,transplanted them into 12in pots. The thing is thay grew well,lots of small fruits,never did get very big,just big bushes.
Do you have to pull off some of the fruit's so as to get bigger ones  :-\ Thanks.
Tony Shoo (shifty)

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:Gowing Peppers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 16:26:43 »
Query?

What variety/s did you grow?
Did you grow them under glass or outdoors?
Did you feed them?
If so on what and when?

Usually they are quite easy to grow.

The Gardener

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 16:47:02 »
I experimented last year by growing one pepper in a large pot (can't remember what variety.)  Fed it on liquid tomato feed.  Had two or three quite large peppers but had to pick them when they were green.   Can you tell me Gardener whether they are supposed to ripen on the plant ???  I picked mine as when I left the first one on it started to go black.  Any advice appreciated. :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

shifty581

• Quarter Acre
  • Old digger
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 17:04:25 »
The Gardener.
Californian Wonder. I grew them in my green houses, and fed them with liquid tom feed. ???
Tony Shoo (shifty)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 17:25:44 »
No boast - just to show that if an idiot like me can do it, any idiot can!!

I'll leave Big G etc to fill in the rest. = Tim

« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 17:32:07 by tim »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 17:34:15 »
As already said peppers are not that difficult to grow so I think it may just be a case of bad luck.

Patricia-I have heard/read that if you take the peppers off before they are fully ripe it encourages others but I would prefer to have a few fewer and let their flavour develop.

Stephan.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 17:50:49 »
Green are v necessary so - one plant green, pick as soon as glossy - the others red? Best of both worlds? = Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 18:38:24 »

These are long, Turkish peppers, we saved the seeds out of a pepper bought at the supermarket.

I grow hot peppers, sweet capsicum and Turkish peppers. The seeds are germinated in a warm place. When ready to plant in the greenhouse, I make a hole, put in a handful of dried cow manure pellets, mix, water, plant and water in. Once in flower I give tomato food and spray the plants with an epsom salt solution.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 21:48:05 »
Great pics Tim & Ina - mine didn't look anything like that :'(

Cleo - I grew mine outside against a sunny wall. Should I have grown them in the greenhouse?  Maybe that is why they started going black with the fluctuating temperatures of the outdoors?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 23:46:26 »
Mine looked great last year, then when I picked em they were backless!! And several HUGE green caterpillars were residing in them  :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 01:11:57 »
  Your blackening peppers are not significant. OP and older F1 hybrids, which would include California Wonder, were commonly suffused with black streaks. It is a genetic trait and has largely been bred out of modern F1's. Nowadays the trait is most commonly seen in cv. jalapeno and other OP chilis, some strains that I have seen being almost entirely black when 'green ripe', prior to turning red.
  Ina, I have been wondering what you meant by 'Turkish' peppers. They look remarkably similar to what is sold over here as 'Sweet Italian' or 'Gypsy' (a varietal name) peppers. I'm quite partial to them.
  On a nutritional note, Tim:- coloured peppers have twice the vitamin A of green peppers and something like 5 times the vitamin C. If you took all the water out of both oranges and red (or other colours) peppers you would have 10 times the vitamin C per gram of pepper than of orange.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 09:01:33 »
Well ehm, John. Come to think of it, we made the name up ourselves (blush). The original pepper we bought in a small Turkish supermarket here so we called them Long Turkish Peppers. Atually they are the same type we used to buy in Spain to make 'papas povres' or poor man's potatoes; slice raw potatoes, mix with some olive oil in a heavy pan, some salt, cover the top with strips of those long whatever peppers, slow heat with the lid on till done. Muy sabroso!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 10:14:26 »
Yes indeed, John, & much sweeter - but there are times when only the green flavour will do!
Patricia - I couldn't grow any outdoors. But you must be much warmer than we are? = Tim
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 10:23:28 by tim »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 10:28:46 »
I can get a passable crop outside using cloches at first,but they do much much better under cover.

Stephan
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 10:29:28 by cleo »

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 10:29:18 »
Thanks for the info John, I will try again and maybe be more patient before I pick them as I do like them red if possible.  Tim, I will probably keep them in the greenhouse this year and perhaps that will help them ripen quicker.

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2004, 14:26:37 »
I'm impressed Tim.

This is mine, easy isn't it!  ::)

This is how I grow my Peppers, this is them in June;

and this is them in August;

This is them when 'green', note the black area on the one at the back as it is changing colour;

This variety was saved seed from a supermarket variety;

This is the variety Luteus which means 'yellow'

I grow my Chillis in pots;

If you want further advice on how I grow them visit my website for the details.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 14:30:01 by The gardener »

The Gardener

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2004, 14:54:13 »
Very impressive, gardner!! Thanks for posting them.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2004, 18:49:57 »
Great pics Gardener (although I can only see three of them - strange :-\)  Pity I discarded my one that was going black last year - thought it was going bad >:(  Never mind, thanks to you and the others I will know better this year :D :)

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 20:51:29 »
Thats strange? There should be 8 i.e. 5 from one source and 3 from another. I presume you see the three lots of growing peppers is this correct?

If this be the case I will try something else, but please let me know....must get to the bottom of why sometimes things work for me and other times they don't

The Gardener

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2004, 09:03:03 »
another pepper query - last year mine produced lots of small fruit, which I allowed to ripen on the plant, but they never got much more than an inch long. They were grown in my mini plastic greenhouse in pots and fed tom feed until I realised it was doing nasty things to my insides and stopped using it. As I had my usual surplus of seedlings, I gave some to mum. She grew hers in a proper greenhouse and never fed them, but they got to be about 5inches long. They were that posh, long Italian variety that I can't remember the name of at the moment. where did I go wrong?
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal