Author Topic: Pond in a sink.  (Read 7727 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Pond in a sink.
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 11:22:33 »
I thought I'd let you see how the pond has progressed.  It is full of tadpoles which were donated from another garden pond. Also lots of "thingies" have laid their eggs and there are definately wriggley things in there. If they are mossies I hope the taddies get 'em! I'm waiting for my elusive dragonfly. Then I'll really feel like I've got a proper pond!! :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 12:33:36 »
A closer look

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 15:31:54 »
looks beautifull heldi it has certainly mautured u should be proud well done

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 09:01:15 »
 :) looks lovely Heldi  ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 21:23:31 »
Thanks peeps. I spend ages crouched down watching the tadpoles! ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 10:35:39 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 10:35:07 »
My pond now sounds like a bowl of rice krispies with all the tadpoles popping air bubbles! I tried them with some fish flakes and they went nuts! ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 11:54:23 »
Can anyone tell me what the little black creature on the pebbles in the water is? I think it looks like a leech (my toes are curling). I've seen about 4 of them. I don't want to do anything about them as long as they are happy and keep away from me!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 15:44:23 »
Thought you'd like to see a recent pic of the pond.

[/img]

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2005, 10:28:54 »
Hi Heldi.   Just popped in to see what's going on with virtual pals.  Been much too busy to chat.  Anyway, just wanted to say your pond is coming along very nicely and yes, those are leeches.  We "acquired" some too but I don't know how.
Obxx - Vendée France

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2005, 11:27:37 »
Thanks Obby. I've noticed you haven't been around. Looking forward to an update as to how your garden is coming along... when you have time to take a breather!

titchhagger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2005, 17:21:45 »
What do u hope to have in your sink, i.e. frogs etc? How deep is it and what will happen in the frosty weather?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2005, 20:16:56 »
I initially wanted my sink pond so as to include an extra element into my garden. Water and a few water loving plants. I've got tadpoles and have had many froglets. I hoping they will stay in the garden and find it suitable for hibernation. My garden is very soggy in places and I'm hoping to provide some small log piles etc as frogs hibernate in these places too. We've had some mature frogs spotted recently ... I haven't seen them but my neighbours have. So this means hopefully that it is viable for the new frogs to stick around.

As for the frost, we don't suffer too much with bad frosts and I can only assume that it is down to being on the coast.  It is the first year of this pond and I'll really just have to wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 12:13:51 »
Here is how the pond is looking so far this year.  I haven't had any froggy visitors but I was amazed when I was filling it up with water from the water butt about 4 weeks ago...a little tadpole complete with legs appeared! He must have survived the winter.  I saw a bright green thing swim across it a while ago but it disappeared before I could get a proper look...maybe I imagined it! Those leech type creature are in abundance so they obviously love it.  Wonder if any Damselflies or even Dragonflies laid any eggs in it? Hope so.  Bit sad about no frogs visiting though,so have got myself a little blue frog from the pound shop  :D  :D

The birds love to use it for a bath so it has become quite a popular spot!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:18:21 by Heldi »

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 13:13:46 »
Hello Heldi

The whole thing look gorgeous !  It's nice to see a wildlife haven (as small as this one) in our sad world.  Well done !

by the way, why is that lovely frog glowing ???  Does it have a light in it??

I certainly do hope you get lots more visitors.

:D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 21:11:50 »
Helds, what a beautiful pond - this is the first time I've seen this thread and it's been great to watch it evolve. Inspiration to us all, you are 8)  What's with the day-glow frog?  Want one!  ;D ;D ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 00:18:02 »
I'm glad I'm not the only nut...with regards to the glowing frog that is!  It's battery operated,sits on it's lillypad all day until I venture out and switch it on and voila...blue frog!  Cost a quid from everythings a pound and bought on a whim because I could find nowt else!  Hasn't cost much on batteries so far because I've been putting it on foir my own delight then switching it off soon afterwards because it hasn't been dark enough. I am planning on keeping my kids up very late one evening so they can actually see it!

Thankyou so very much Marianne and Alishka for your kind comments...I have to confess my sink pond is my fav place in my garden. I spend too much time peering into it and not enough time if you know what I mean (I know you do)....maybe I should invite Bill Oddy for a look!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal