Author Topic: Pumpkin & Squash growing ideas  (Read 2077 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Pumpkin & Squash growing ideas
« on: May 16, 2006, 19:41:09 »
hi all, my pumpkins and squashes are looking pretty good and I'm planning to plant them out in a week or so.  Has anyone had any experience of growing them up teepees or other types of support ?

I realise that I'll have to support the fruits somehow when they eventually form (netting maybe ?)  I quite like the idea of making some sort of frame, but not sure where to start or how big to go.  I'm growing Big Max, Carabocha, Butternut Squash and Munchkin.

any ideas ?

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Pumpkin & Squash growing ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 20:02:58 »
someone posted a link somewhere on here to a vertical gardening website can't find the thread but a google for vertical gardening produces

http://www.gardensup.com/

the site in the original thread and many more

good luck

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 07:53:21 »
I'm planning to use an old apple tree on my plot as a climbing frame this year, leading them up into it by a sort of homemade ladder contraption. I like to pick the fruit small and eat it at once, so will not be worried about the weight, only about being able to reach them.

I have grown them up a wigwam, and found they needed to be encouraged to wind round and round it, or they reached the top too quickly. I have also allowed them to climb a hedge from a compost heap under it, but it was too shady and they refused to flower until they reached the sunlight - then produced giant fruit that rested on the top of an 8' hedge completely out of reach until I yanked the whole thing down in the autumn.

Great fun.

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 14:21:59 »
Can squash be grown on the ground or do they have to climb? What are the perils of ground planting vs vertical training the plants?

Zoglet
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 14:31:44 »
I've always grown my butternut along the ground and had no problems, although I've also been thinking of trying to grow them up supports this year.  Will be interested to read other peoples experiences.

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 17:01:50 »
Iv got some sunburst and some butternut to plant out soonish,. If I plant them with out support , so that they are on the ground, shuold I support the "fruite" on straw?

Zoglet
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 15:01:53 »
Hey zoglet, wait until fruits start to swell up and touch the ground and then put them at an angle e.g. on a brick, saucer, slate etc. I tend to avoid straw because I am afraid of slugs or potential rot when the straw gets damp, but I know some people do use it.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 06:18:17 »
Slightly off topic - when growing squash etc and putting two seeds to a pot if both seeds come thru and look healthy do people try to use both or still pinch out one seedling?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 06:40:20 »
Depends how many I've got and how much space I've got for pots. Mostly I do grow both on, after separating them. i don't necessarily use both though.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:58:39 »
Slightly off topic - when growing squash etc and putting two seeds to a pot if both seeds come thru and look healthy do people try to use both or still pinch out one seedling?

I shut my eyes and pinch one out glow :-[ :'(

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:02:57 »

I seperate them and use both, then I run out of room since I didn't allow for that many. ;D

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 09:12:04 »
the next question then is at what size are they best seperated?

Although I hadnt planned on planting them all I may get some extra land this year as the person I share with hasnt visited the allotment since dumping her xmas tree in January. The ground needs too much work for me to plant anything properly this year and would need major work over winter but a quick clear up and throwing some ground covering squashs in might be a good idea.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 09:16:40 »
Yes, it certainly provides good ground cover, as it is easy to clear in the autumn, and any fruit are always welcome ... unused material is always compost.

I tend to try and propogate as many plants as will germinate, as there never seem to be enough  :D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:18:27 »
the next question then is at what size are they best seperated?

Big enough to handle, small enough that their roots haven't intertwined.  And this piece of string is...................long ;D

It's up to each person, when you think it's right, not too helpful I know, but it is one of those awkward ones that's hard to discribe in words

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal