Author Topic: My first ever Freesia  (Read 2636 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
My first ever Freesia
« on: June 24, 2006, 19:59:26 »
I've always loved Freesias but I haven't tried growing them before because I assumed they were difficult.  Then this year I saw some advertised in a catalogue and decided to give them a go.  I have 20 and this is the first to open.  It smells wonderful.   ;D  G x

« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 20:44:42 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
Re: My first ever Freesia
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 20:43:31 »
thanks for this - you have inspired me for next year

any advice on getting started?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 20:53:51 »
Hi Flossie.  Well I'm no expert, obviously, so I just followed my instincts.  I'm growing them in pots in a mixture of home made compost, leaf mould and a good quality bought compost for pots with a handful of chicken manure pellets for pots and some perlite.  They are in a sunny position.  The leaves have some rust damage (at least it looks like rust to me) but that hasn't affected the flowers.  I did lose one flower bud - stem eaten right through - but it was impossible to determine the culprit.  I say give them a go.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 21:47:45 »
I love them too Georgie!  Well done! I don't think they are easy to grow so you have done really well to produce such beauties, and they do have a wonderful scent!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 21:53:00 »
Thanks, Busy Lizzie.   :)

G x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 22:26:57 »
I love them One of my daughters has often bought me some, as she knows I love the scent.. Great pic Georgie.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 20:47:20 »
Thanks, Lorna.  The lavender blue ones are coming out today.  Will take a picture when they are out more fully.   :)

G x

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 13:02:07 »
Well done G, I haven't grown freesias before either, I think you've just inspired me to grow them for next year :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 16:26:22 »
I'll let you know how long they last.  Although the spider lilies looked and smelled heavenly, they were over in a week.   :(  I'm certain the freesias will be much longer lived though, because each stem, so far, has two flower stems and there are lots of buds on each stem too.   ;D

G x

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 17:16:55 »
Last year, I planted Freesia corms in pots in August and moved them into the (frost-free) greenhouse in autumn and then brought them into the house when they were flowering in January/February - fantastic smell and very nice flowers, especially at that time of year. They lasted 3-4 weeks, but obviously it was a good bit colder and a lot less sun than now. The stems were quite floppy, though and if I do the same this year, I will probably put a pea-stick in each pot to try and keep them a bit tidier.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 17:28:00 »
Gosh Ceratonia, I didn't know you could do that.  What a  great idea.   ;D  I agree with you about the floppy stems, I've added a few strategically placed bamboo skewers to keep them upright.   :)

G x

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 09:11:39 »
heavenly & that goes for the smell too ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 10:10:05 »
heavenly it is - love the idea of bringing them into the house early in the year :D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 20:44:40 »
Here are the lavender ones.   ;D  G x

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 22:08:42 »
Beautiful, but I hate the smell!  Blame my first boss.  He loved Freesias and one of my chores on a Monday morning if he was in the country was to go to Marks and Sparks and buy 2 bunches of freesias for his office.  The scent was so strong, that mixed with his cigar smoke put me off for life.  However, they are really pretty flowers and I love the lavender ones!

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 22:22:46 »
Georgie they are stunning, might be tempted to try some myself.  Will the bulbs (?) grow again next year do you think ?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 20:09:36 »
Awww, Emma, that's a shame.  I think freesia is my favourite flower scent, closely followed by jasmine.

Hi MC.  I think they are frost tender so I will over-winter them in the mini greenhouse and hope for the best. 

G xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal