Author Topic: $%**&%$£ SLUGS/SNAILS  (Read 7331 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: $%**&%$£ SLUGS/SNAILS
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 07:40:34 »
this morning, i have resorted to ............. salt.

i will worry about ph levels and other disadvantages later.   8)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 20:01:36 »
I am going to give the growing success ones a try too, my dads had his runner beans, beetroot and some lettuce eaten. we want some hot days to drive the slugs away. You would have thought that the slugs and snails would eat the weeds, theres plenty of them to go at.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006, 22:35:13 »
Tried to get some B&Q stuff today with no success  :(
I was being soooooo smug, thinking my plottie looked the bizzo with all my planting out......................in 2 days the nasty little demons have polished off all my courgettes and marrows. I did buy some little blue pellets  from Asda, but after reading on this thread what nasty things they must do to wildlife I will take them back and look again for more friendly stuff.
In the mean time it's back to the greenhouse..... :-\ :-\
Smile, it confuses people.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 23:11:17 »
Well, the B&Q stuff works! ;D ;D ;D!  The brunnera I thought had given up the ghost a month ago has just produced three mini unchomped leaves - there is life there yet ;D  Thanks Cowpie et all.

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 19:57:56 »
Try wilkos for the growing success stuff, I got some today, will be trying it on the lottie tomorrow if it doesnt rain heavily again

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 20:15:35 »
Got some today, likewise, tomorrow will be D day weather permitting. :D
Smile, it confuses people.

jewelflower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 18:20:56 »
we have resorted to assassination techniques.

Got pellets (nice ones) have used. I can not stand the dessimation any longer.  >:(  >:(
When I married Mr Right I didn't realise his first name was ALWAYS!!!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 18:58:24 »
Never had toooo much of a problem in my greenhouse.  Tis sited on a slabbed area and the paths are all gravel, but of course, slugs and snails sneak in on pots etc....well....today, went to have a pot on session, and what do you know, 8 melon seedlings, gone!  :'(  Don't they know how much I struggle to get melons to germinate!!??  And right next to them, white acorn squash seedlings, untouched!

jewelflower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 19:03:28 »
what really gets to me is when they just munch through the stem AND DON'T EAT THE FLIPPING LEAVES, just behead them and leave, that is just plain nasty.  >:(
When I married Mr Right I didn't realise his first name was ALWAYS!!!!

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 19:07:52 »
this morning, i have resorted to ............. salt.

i will worry about ph levels and other disadvantages later.   8)

Reading this post got me to thinking, is there anything you could buy or make that is a donut shape that could be put around the base of a plant and filled with coarse salt. The slugs and snails would have to crawl over the salt before reaching vulnerable seedlings. It would need a lid or cover of some sort to protect from rain otherwise the salt would wash into the soil. Lets all put our thinking caps on and come up with an A4a slug and snail destroyer. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal