Author Topic: have I killed my leeks?  (Read 2666 times)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
have I killed my leeks?
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:13:32 »
I planted them out, in big holes infilled with water, more than a week ago, and so far only one is peeping up out of the soil. will the others fight their way to the surface or have i killed em? they were thin like grass, rather than like pencils.
I will finish it, one day

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: have I killed my leeks?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 10:24:38 »
Was the hole deeper than the leek? I tend to plant out when about half the size of a pencil into a hole deep enough so that the tips of the leaf are proud of the surface.

I have never buried them completly.

Having said that, if they are only just burried they may be OK, can you scrape back the soil a little to help them?

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 10:51:56 »
If the holes remained after watering, I have found they generally reach for the light, but as Jerry has commented, I try and plant mine so that they are just proud of the surface ... and never infill with soil.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 10:54:22 »
Oh dear. I didn't infill, but didn\t realise you had to leave the tips showing, I just threw the leeks in the hole and watered till it filled. Back to the seed tray then! by the time I grow some new bits I will know if the old ones have made it. thanks for advice

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 15:08:36 »
:( Dissappointment here too :( after sowing two trays of leek and getting nothing germinating >:( I am capable of growing the blighters as I'm still picking them from last year ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 15:18:06 »
Bad luck Roy, my first packet also failed to germinate, the second packet are just peeking above the seed compost ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 15:29:47 »
Not even sown mine yet, job for this week or the next I hope.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 15:40:26 »
A few weeks ago on the allotment I sowed a very short row of expensive seed and finished off the long row with seed saved from last year's flowers, without even bothering to get the seeds out of the flowerheads (just scissoered them off into a container). Guess which row is bounding out of the soil? Same soil conditions, same weather. I'm beginning to lose faith in bought leek seeds, especially as people here also report failure even in seed trays.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 16:44:49 »
my first packet also failed to germinate, the second packet are just peeking above the seed compost ...

Strange that??? I have had the same problem this year, which is something that has never happened before????

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 16:49:33 »
Ours came up fine and we still havenot eaten all last years, will have to take the stem core out and use in soup, not sure they weren't old seed though. Got some "Wilton" from HDRA seed Library and they were fine, just given away the sprares today... ask around on the Lottie somebody always has half a tray too many, we pricked out 200 and still gave away some to three newbies!
 ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 17:30:42 »
I'm now wondering if my failure may be that the cheap compost I bought may have dried out, (last year’s stock maybe?) I stupidly used it and watered from the top, even though I soaked it (as I thought) the lower parts were still dry. ::) :P the compost reacted like water off a ducks back. ???

I am now putting the compost in a bowl adding lots of water and kneading it to a doughy substance ;D 8)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 17:49:31 »
Just sown my leeks this afternoon been meaning to do them for ages i'll let you know if any grow.

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 22:01:33 »
at least three are peeping through now ... I live in hope

grassroots

• Half Acre
  • If at first you dont succeed GIVE UP.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 22:57:11 »
I put down two lots of leeks and thay have come on well so good that i will plant them out next week. I put the seeds in B&Q compost and you dont get much cheaper than that. As for planting out go allong with Jerry there said.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 16:10:12 »
this year my leeks were REALLY slow to germinate.but they came eventually-still too thin to plant out..

12 years for leekicide larry!......
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 17:13:27 »
I put a full row across my plot 3 weeks back & every seed has popped up there must be about 700 witch is good news as other peeps have failed so they can have the rest

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 21:00:38 »
I didn't think it was possible to kill leeks..... anything that can survive a winter in Wales must be almost indestructable! :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal