Author Topic: Rhubarb on New Plot  (Read 1629 times)

keithy

• Not So New ...
Rhubarb on New Plot
« on: May 09, 2006, 16:59:23 »
I have just taken on a new plot which has two huge ( prob. 4' across, 4' high) rhubarb plants in it. They both appear to be either flowering or about to at the moment. Is this a good thing ?  I seem to recall somewhere that they should be cut down, but can't find anything in the WIKI.

At best rhubarb Crumble, at worst, a good start for the compost heap !!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Keithy
Lottie'ing in Swindon - backache with slugs

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Rhubarb on New Plot
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 17:04:17 »
They sound like neglected crowns that have been allowed to run riot. Strip down the crown, it freezes well and makes great jam with a bit of ginger. If the middle of the crown is dead/rotting, you need to split it at the end of the season, Do one this year and one next so you get a good crop next year as well. Replant sections of the root with a healthy bud and allow them to bed down next year...
 :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 19:23:02 »
Hmm - they sound a lot like one of my rhubarb plants - huge, but not neglected! There was a thread on the forum earlier about flowering - lots of us have experienced it this year, and I don't think its anything to worry about. Worth checking the centre of the crown though anyway, in case they do need splitting.

plimsoll plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 19:51:34 »
not sure but they say you should never put rubarb on the compost heap?

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 20:07:56 »
Its ok for composting

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 22:10:50 »
The best of my plants are that size, and that's what I want them to be! I'm not splitting till I see the centres dying off. I just break off the flower stalks every year, and compost all the waste.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 11:15:05 »
Also I think that the different varieties of rhubarb grow to different sized plants - I have about 6 plants, and some are totally different from others. The only one I really am sure of is Timperley Early, which has slender stalks and seems an altogether more delicate sized plant.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 13:53:54 »
our rhubarb on the site (that is, everyone's rhubarb) is huge!
i am wondering if in fact the dry winter we had is preferable to the plants than a wet winter? i mean, i know i wouldnt want cold damp feet - would you???

at some point i will check the crowns for splitting - but they all look fine atm. :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 16:12:06 »
They like dampness, but have very deep roots. So mine flourishes no matter what, since there's always water a foot or two down. It's the shallow rooting stuff that can suffer.

keithy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 18:26:57 »
Thanks for all your advice. I have taken the flowers out this morning, and will split bothe plants over the next couple of years.

Thanks again

Keithy
Lottie'ing in Swindon - backache with slugs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal