Author Topic: instruction books  (Read 3699 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
instruction books
« on: March 11, 2004, 19:22:19 »
- any recommendations for a pictorial idiot's guide to computers? Needed for XP.

Had a thing in the mail today, with very clear 'cards', and CDs, but it's a 'collect each month' thing - I need it all NOW! = Tim
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 19:22:52 by tim »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:instruction books
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 19:48:24 »
Depends on what you NEED to know, Tim. You can spend weeks (and a fortune) buying and studying the manuals and not learn the bits you NEED. If you have XP decide what you want to do with it and toss aside what you don't want.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 21:33:33 »
tim, try "Windows XP For Dummies"  by Andy Rathbone - started me off when I finally changed from my old Commodore Amiga. Mainly in text but with plenty of illustrations, and very clear, but very much for the beginner. Cost was £18.99 two years ago.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 21:34:35 by Hugh_Jones »

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 15:23:36 »
Troubleshoting Windows XP by Stephen W Sagman.
Microsoft press is a very good book
regards Len

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 18:14:52 »
Thanks for all that.

Trouble is, until you see what is possible, it's difficult to know what you want! I'm finding things weekly - even things like slide shows of photos.

But point taken - for instance, these days I don't use Excel for costings. And I'm sure I can refine it further. But I do like lots of pictures of the workings 'on screen'. - Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 19:21:05 »
There's also quite a bit of help on the MS site. Most MS software covers masses of things the ordinary person just doesn't need. I've never found MS issued manuals much help, far too detailed for what I have ever required. The 'Dummy' books cover more what the 'layman' requires. Nip down to PC World or the like and have a free brows.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal