Author Topic: Carrots (or lack of)  (Read 3064 times)

philj

• Not So New ...
Carrots (or lack of)
« on: May 05, 2006, 21:02:19 »
Hello everybody, a little question to pick your brains if I may.

I sowed some Early Nantes and Autumn King about a month ago and have no sign of germination of either. Am I just being impatient, or can anyone suggest any reason for this.  I grew Sugarsnax well last year, and I am sure they were showing by now. 

I think I may have to resow.

Phil

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Re: Carrots (or lack of)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 21:04:48 »
Hi
My Early Nantes and Parmex both sown about a month ago have only just come through and I cloched for the first three weeks!  I have also sown another row, which I was going to do anyway to keep up a good supply.
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 21:12:28 »
Did you protect them?  I sowed flowers, lettuce, carrots and beetroot a month ago and thought they hadn't germinated, until I found odd ones all over the place - reckon the birds had a bit of a feeding frenzy.   I still haven't learnt - sowed more this week and forgot to put netting over them today.  I'll have to go back tomorrow - thanks for reminding me, philj, you've just saved my bacon, er, salad.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 21:14:19 »
ive had same problem,4 carrots in total yet!

philj

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 21:17:32 »
No protection or cloching whatsoever (my veg have to be survivors), but salad, radishes & leeks are all germinating well in the open.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 22:46:19 »
Hello everybody, a little question to pick your brains if I may.

I sowed some Early Nantes and Autumn King about a month ago and have no sign of germination of either. Am I just being impatient, or can anyone suggest any reason for this.
I think I may have to resow.

Phil

You  say  I grew Sugarsnax well last year, and I am sure they were showing by now. 

Looking at your geographical position I would hazard a guess and say that you  may have sown them too early.

I live over the hill from you (West Yorkshire) and I would say that this year things are about three weeks behind last year.

Personally I would say sow some more if you have them but wait another couple of weeks before doing so, I never plant before mid May.

What I find can happen if the germination period is not quite correct is;

Because seeds are sown quite shallow protection is minimal, i.e. when they germinate but before they emerge, the weather can change i.e. it becomes hot/cold in hot the tiny shoots dry out and die, conversely too cold and they rot.

As the others have intimated the soil must be warm enough to have any chance of success. I would offer some protection to the ones you have sown, and sow more as back up.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 18:45:08 »
In sunny Essex things are slow on the carrot front.  My 2 sowings of about 3 weeks are still to show, but I sow and sow and sow again and eventually they all come through.  The kids and I sowed half a pack of stubby rooted ones (can't remember the name) in a large square trough today for the garden - I will use them as my guide - once they are through, if the lottie ones aren't then I shall rake the area and sow again!

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 20:07:27 »
Sowed a row each of three different types of carrot about a month ago under fleece--all up and about an inch high (In Yorkshire)

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 15:07:00 »
my kids sow some early Nantes back in January ( packet out of date ) there all up and growing happy i sowed another lot of carrots about 4 weeks ago still no sign   but the lettuce and spring onions and leeks all done at the same time are up and running

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 15:46:16 »
None of the carrots I sowed six weeks ago have shown (although some I sowed last year in the flowerbed have come up) ??? Do you rent your brood out by the hour loulou? ;)

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 18:19:14 »
I have some early nantes in window boxes on my balcony. It is the first time I have ever grown carrots. How will I know when they are ready? (I started them around 24/3).

TY

Zoglet
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 19:45:09 »
my inexperienced tuppence worth, sowed some early nantes on a window sill ages ago and transplanted them in a pot outside under fleece, still doing pretty well considering i never take the fleece of and water through it so i can't actually see much of what is going on.

sowed a row of the same, in the bath a month ago or more and need to thin.  it breaks my heart but i suppose there's no point in growing them just for the greenery is there ?  the bath is under a fleece and polytunnel cloche to try and ward off the evil fly, so i guess it's nice and warm under there, but i am oop north, so guess i'm just catching up with them darn sarf !

if you've got nothing at all i'd find that a bit strange.   ::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 20:07:17 »
Mrs KP
Dont thin for a while leave it until they are mini carrots (carrets!) they can then be added whole to salads etc

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 22:14:45 »
Carrots can br a right pain, I planted parsnips and carrots (early nantes) on the same day and expected more carrots than parsnips to come up, worng. Of the 24 stations of parsnips I planted only 2 failed to do anything so i've reseeded them. nothing at all from the carrots, just done the whole area again.

powerspade

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 06:03:41 »
Its all to do with soil temperature for best germination the soil must be above 50 degrees F,  below that and they will take a long time

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 10:36:54 »
Carrots have been slow this year and only just breaking the surface  3 - 4 weeks after sowing in light soil in Cheshire.  Second sowing 2 weeks ago only a millimeter or so behind.

Sow some more now!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 13:51:23 »

In Essex, after 3 weeks, they are up and running!  ;D

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 15:35:44 »
supersprout id let them out for free they are driving me mad  :P mum can we sow this mum can we pick this   and the best question i get asked at least 20 times A day  is are they ready to eat yet  pleeeaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeeeee  they have  dug up some of the garlic just to see if it has grown and there digging up the Flowers to i love them to bit  but i have to sow twice as much as i need coz they dig  them up far to early  and at the moment shes made her own plot in my back garden she took some seeds from my box and sowen them in the bit she dug so iv no idea what if anything will grow but it all ads to the  fun
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 15:38:59 by loulou »

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 16:11:29 »
Phew, glad it's not just me - planted chantenay and paris market under fleece on easter monday and no sign as yet - uncovered them a few days ago to see if that would help (they were a bit dry, but after todays weather they will now be a bit wet - ho hum!) ... we shall see ... fortunately I only planted 1' square of each, so will plant some more this weekend, and see if they work

sl
"I grant indeed that fields and flocks have charms,
For him that gazes or for him that farms."

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 17:16:03 »
I sowed some in a large pot in the greenhouse about a month/ 5 weeks ago and I have about 5 or 6 seedlings@(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal