Author Topic: Problem germinating atlantic giants  (Read 3136 times)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Problem germinating atlantic giants
« on: May 17, 2006, 19:55:49 »
I've now sown two lots of atlantic giants and not had a single one germinate.  :-\

Any advice?  ???

Thanks, Caz.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Problem germinating atlantic giants
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 20:52:50 »
Hi Caz,  It depends on which method you have tried. I am not an expert, but I always do it the same way and it has always succeeded. Seed, pointy end down in moist compost, which is then covered in cling film and put in a hottish airing cupboard in the dark or somewhere warm and dark.  After about four or five days, they should burst out of the compost like little monsters, at which stage you put them in the light. Some of the big pumpkins, seeds are quite hard and if this is the case, you could file the edges (apart from the pointy bit) and soak in handhot water for about twenty minutes, before you do the sowing.   Good luck, I hope something works soon. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 22:56:12 »
Mine took a whole month this year caz, I had given up after two weeks and just put the pot in with others in the greenhouse, after two more weeks of being ignored they decided to sprout ::)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:59:57 »
I put mine on damp tissue, covered with cling film and put under the kitchen sink. A few days later they were about an inch long... Potted them up and they are going great!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:08:32 »
They germinate quickly (within 5 days) if you put them in small pots of potting compost, water, cover with plastic and pop them into the airing cupboard. Check them morning and night, as soon as you see the seedling emerging take it out of the airing cupboard, remove the plastic and place on a bright windowsill. This method has never failed me. Oh and make sure you're using fresh seed. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

spacehopper

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 19:10:14 »
Hmm, thanks for the advice. I'll try putting them somewhere dark to see if that makes a difference. They are currently in an unheated greenhouse. The seed came from the organic gardening catalogue this year so should be ok.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 19:18:49 »
Caz, They seem to like warmth to germinate in my experience. I hope it won't be too long before they are popping up their little heads. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 19:41:37 »
Dark/light has nothing to do with it, the airing cupboard provides the warmth they like to germiante quickly. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

spacehopper

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 15:49:03 »
Ah, okay dokay, warm it is then!  ;D

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 21:48:47 »
My AG were a nightmare, of a packet of 14 only two germinated, and they are very weak, with tiny cotyledons.

I put it down to duff seed (organic catalogue), as I had no problem with any other squash seeds, which I bought from realseeds and kokopelli.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 23:05:53 »
I use damp kitchen towel two double layers seeds inbetween and place in a lunch box and put on a window sill bedroom in sun shaded with net curtian.
I use this methord for all large seeds even this time melons.
When the tap root ( white) then green shoot appears pot up just to compost level and off they go.
This way if you have dud seeds you find out before potting up saves room in greenhouse.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal