Author Topic: Onion Panic  (Read 1308 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Onion Panic
« on: May 04, 2006, 20:08:25 »
???

My onions are sat in the cold frame sprouting madly while they wait for me to finish weeding and digging over their spectacular new bed!

Is it too late? Am in Lancs, so bit behind the south anyway?

Help

:-\

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
Re: Onion Panic
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 20:17:44 »
I only planted my onion bulbs 2 weekends ago, they have just started to come to life, so i think you aren't too late.  Also i read in one of the garden magazine this is the last month to plan onions.  Good luck.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 20:22:11 »
i planted my sets a couple of weeks ago and only a few are sprouting - as long as they are not autumn planting sets I am sure they will be fine.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 21:10:48 »
my second lot  went in last week-bung 'em in!!i was really late with everything last year-still got a goodly amount-after all-this years been cold -ish up to now-and have the onions got a calender?
no!
so bung 'em in! ;D
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 21:41:16 »
;D

lol...chap at the site tonight said that if we didnt ever look at the calendar, maybe we wouldnt panic so much!!

Hope to get em in tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

;)

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 22:02:10 »
I put mine in about 3 weeks ago.  Was sort of embarrassed to do so, seeing that the chap we're sharing with had his onions planted ages ago, and they're shooting well up.

But I covered mine with some Poundland cloches to give them a start, and they're doing pretty well now.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 10:26:38 »
katynewbie  you are not the only one iv got my onions say at home im trying to get down to plant them but with cars braking down and other things iv not yet had time iv got seddling galour to plant and no where ready to plant them but i promis my self i will take time out this weekend (fingers crossed ) to go down and plant them

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 11:34:24 »
I'm the same, I finally finished digging out the bed last weekend so will be planting my sets tomorrow at long last.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 13:43:02 »
I decided (very late) to venture into unknown territory and try and grow some onions from seed. I got some Red Florence Long - or should that be Long Red Florence - and Texas Something-or-Other, because the packets indicated March-April wasn't too late to sow. Were they fibbing?

Well... they've only had their noses above ground for a couple of weeks, despite being module sown in the greenhouse... and I am now wondering whether this is a hopeless cause.

???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal