Author Topic: Runner Bean Trenches  (Read 7449 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Runner Bean Trenches
« on: May 04, 2006, 16:13:19 »
Tomorrow I am hoping to dig my trenches for the runners.In pre allotment years I have just shoved them in the garden and all has been ok
(not last year though-they were not good).Every bean grower I speak to seems to put all sorts in their trenches, from old carpet, newspaper, cardboard....they say it ensures them a marvelous crop- which I supose it must otherwise they wouldn't bother-Any views ? What do you put in yours?  ???  :D
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Runner Bean Trenches
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 16:43:06 »
Runner beans are a tropical rain forest plant and so need soggy feet to give their best, anything which will hold water at the roots to stop them drying out is OK
 :)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 16:45:05 »
I think the key is to add material that retains moisture at the roots but not to add anything too high in nutrients, especially Nitrogen, as this will result in soft lush growth at the expense of flowers, no flowers no beans.

A feed high in potash soon after establishment would help encourage flowering though. Also an early feed will help plant establishment as the nitrogen fixing does not start straight away.

In my trench I shall be adding kitchen waste, shredded paper, grass clippings, compost, etc.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 16:45:34 »
Loads of manure, garden compost and old newspapers, shredded up, then a layer of earth.....works for me... ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 17:18:27 »
due to circs last year i just bunged mine in a very unprepared,very clayey soil and shoved a wigwam of canes round them...
had tons of beans...
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 17:40:29 »
Me too Kitty. In my case because of not knowing better. :-[ This year I know more and have been burying biodegradable bags of kitchen waste for months. Hopefully the beans will be even better and more prolific than last year.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 22:28:07 »
I just dug over a trench and weeded it, dug in a small amount of compost and leafmould, planted and hoped for the best (I di put lettuces in between the rows).  Got told that everything I planted seemed to grow and kept getting praise for my beans - if not the rig which collapsed then listed for most of the summer.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 16:22:11 »
ooooooooooh!
THATS what it was-the gossip in lincoln was that we were being visited by the marie celeste....listing to one side with rigging in dissarray-was you then was it clanger?
 ;) ;D
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 16:25:42 »
Oh trenches??  I have just put up a wigwam for my 5 runner bean plants that are growing away in loo rolls at home - only me that likes them so I think 5 will be enough.  Anyway I spread some muck around the base of the wigwam but was just going to dig holes and pop each one in with it's loo roll - should I be doing more to the ground now while I'm waiting??
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 19:28:02 »
Well now I'm hastily collecting newspaper and kitchen waste and defying the Bearded Wonder to take the grass cuttings to the tip.! !!  ;D ;D ;D
Need more horse poo. :-\

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 20:12:19 »
This I saved done by another gardener.

If you really fancy double digging (it`s the quickest way to a bad back later on) by all means do as Gavin suggests, but incorporate as much compostable matter (soft weeds, scrunched up newspapers, cardboard, leaves etc.) as you can into the bottom spit and manure and compost into the top, then never bother to double dig again - it just isn`t necessary for most vegetables.

The exception is runner beans. Make a permanent site for these (don`t rotate it), dig a trench 2 or more feet deep, then backfill, mixing in all your old woollen garments (slow release nitrogen), compost, leaves, newspapers etc. and plenty of bonemeal and allow it to settle over winter. Keep on using this site every year and it will get better and better every year

Gardening is such fun if you have a good back ?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 23:44:35 »
And spare woollies and so much energy. ;D ;D ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 01:00:22 »
We haven't got a Woolies in Lincoln - never mind a spare one. ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 09:04:50 »
This was taking from Hughs reply to runner beans a while ago

.  If you don`t want to sacrifice your old woolly jumpers try and do as I did.  Get hold of a couple of old woollen flock mattresses and tip the contents into the bottom of the trench.  The old Yorkshire show growers used to use wool shoddy, but I haven`t seen any of that for years.

Wool shoddy I think is the left over bits from shearing sheep

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 09:37:51 »
Last year I dug the area, pulled out weeds, put in canes and planted the beans.  No compost and no fertilisers but watered regularly.  I had a huge crop.  My soil is Ph7 so ideal for crop growing.    ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 09:46:36 »
Wool shoddy is the short fibres carded out but not long enough for spinning, and the bits created by raising the nap... waste wool... using short fibres meant more breaks when weaving and a less hard wearing finiished garment, hence the phrase "Shoddy workmanship" we used to have atextile industry once!
It mats together almost like felt and holds water well both in the trench or as a mulch..

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 09:57:17 »
Yes beans will grow fine if watered every day.
The trench I use as you put loads into it to hold water and as the water in the ground rises up and down natualy. You just need to water the beans in when planted for a week and the tap root finds the trench and no watering is needed afterwards. Or water ( Soak) once a week in dry spells in the evenings.
I have loads of beans as well with not watering everyday good idea to grow some sweet peas up with the beans to get the insects and bees to pollenate.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 17:10:20 »
We haven't got a Woolies in Lincoln - never mind a spare one.

no..but we got a wilkos which is better! ;D
i didnt even water my beans last year-made 'em work hard i did-the roots must've gone down to australia.......
anyway-plenty of beans....

not a fan of digging-double or otherwise....dont mind weeding..but digging???{{shudder}}

now look..i need a blinkin lie down...digging...mumble mumle....digging?????

kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 21:56:54 »
Thanks Saddad that what ( Wool shoddy ) is the thread was so long ago I knew it had something to do with sheeps wool whoops.
great this site is you learn so much and not all gardening.
Oh Kitty my DD is a spade and a half depth then it rock solid need a pick axe to shift it but it does hold the water.

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 09:13:40 »
Last year mine were planted with little soil preparation, just a rough dig over. I had more than enough beans, although I did water them a lot. This year I have dug a deep trench, and filled it with manure and shredded paper plus a couple of bins liners worth of grass clippings.
It will be intresting to see if there is any change.

Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal