Author Topic: container plants for shade  (Read 3051 times)

AndrewB

• Half Acre
container plants for shade
« on: May 02, 2006, 21:00:43 »
I have a load of pots on the patio which look a bit tired, they are in the shade most of the day which may be the problem.  Can anyone suggest some good plants for containers in the shade?

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: container plants for shade
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:11:48 »
Hi, hostas would be fine as foliage plants and many grasses will grow well in shade too. if you want flowering plants impatiens and begonia semperflorans will both do well. Some roses will do OK in shade as will a lot of shrubs so the choice is pretty wide.  ;)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 16:09:36 »
I have some listed here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Misc.Data/Plants%20by%20location.htm

Click on subject for cultural instructions & picture.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 17:59:29 »
Thanks, I love hostas but wife hates them, didn't think to put them in pots, may sneak a few in and see if she notices.  I'll pick a few from Tee Gees site also

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 20:44:19 »
Andrew, I grow all my plants in the shady part of the garden in pots.  Can you tell me how big you want them to grow and if you have any colour preferences then I'll give you some suggestions.  :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:11:09 »
I have always found bizzy lizzies good performers in shade and they have a long flowering period
Chris Pea

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 17:32:57 »
Georgie, I like blues, whites, deep red and purples, not so much pinkor yellow.  I quite like striking foliage too. Nothing too large patio is very small - just 2 sets of 3 pots.  I have a few lavenders at the moment but their impact is fairy minimal'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 19:52:53 »
Hi Andrew.  Lavenders will indeed be very miserable in the shade.  :(  Here's a few suggestions for you but happy to expand the list if these don't suit.  They are all perennials.

Asparagus sprengii.  Ht 1m.  Evergreen with needle-like feathery foliage.  White flowers in summer followed by red berries.

Dicentra Spectabilis f.alba.  Ht 1m.  Ferny mid-green foliage with white flowers in spring to mid summer.

Geranium Phaeum.  Ht 1m.  Typical Geranium leaf with deep purple flowers late spring to early summer.

Liriope Muscari.  Ht 0.5m.  Evergreen with dark green strap type leaves and deep mauve flowers Aug- Oct.

Polemonium caeruleum. Ht 0.5m.  Mid green fern like foliage with blue or white flowers Jun- Sep.

Salvia Lyrata.  Ht 0.3m.  Dark purple leaves with white and purple flowers in summer.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 21:28:28 »
Thanks thats really helpfull, I think I have a load of self seeded Polemonium in a shady part of the garden and hadn't thought of sticking a few in pots. I'll go on a plant search now for a few of your other suggestions.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 21:51:25 »
Anytime.  :)

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal