Author Topic: Paw protection cream for HUMANS  (Read 7599 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Re: Paw protection cream for HUMANS
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 20:25:40 »
For a nice treat for dry hands every now and then I like to rub warm olive oil into my hands (and feet) then put gloves or socks on - i usually just use an old pair of cotton ones to stop it getting everywhere else - and leave over night.  Wash off the next morning and hey presto!  Silky smooth hands! Works a treat. ;)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 20:32:11 »
For a nice treat for dry hands every now and then I like to rub warm olive oil into my hands (and feet) then put gloves or socks on - i usually just use an old pair of cotton ones to stop it getting everywhere else - and leave over night.  Wash off the next morning and hey presto!  Silky smooth hands! Works a treat. ;)

SNAP about the cotton gloves/sox in bed overnight. Just wasn't going to admit it, is all :-[ :-[ :-[  Petroleum jelly for me, tho..

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 20:57:50 »
that works well for hard skin on feet too. Smother in vasalene and put socks on and leave overnight, feels very odd but softens feet up a treat.

I use the sugar and oil thing and it works well, and then about once a week i rub olive oil into my hands and put rubber gloves on and do the washing up (i do wash up more than once a week, but i mean the treatment :P) and they go lovely and soft.

O lush is my heaven.  since I gave up smoking two years ago a monthly trip to lush is my reward!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 21:36:20 »
The BEST cream for cracked hands is  UDDER CREAM, if you know a farmer and they still use it grab some. I kid you not. We brought a large jar with us from when we kept a cow (in Sussex) and even our friend who owned a pub swore by it. I think son-in-law still has the remains of the cream.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 23:56:58 »
The stuff from Crabtree and Evelyn is very good.
They did a Gardeners gift set last year and I still have some left of the scrub grains and hand cream, so it does last.
I think they do a scrub in a tube now which has pumice grains in and makes your hands feel soft again.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 00:02:07 »
Right, from now on it's vaseline and latex gloves for the plot, the larder for scrubs, Flexitol, C&E or Lush for rubbing in and reading in bed with socks on? If that don't get my hands in shape will just have to try the udder one ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 00:12:01 by supersprout »

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 07:54:11 »
:o ;D ;D ;D lol

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:09 »
I too use the latex gloves, and the ones in the 2nd (?)pic, which are great cos your hands can breathe in them!

BUT I have to say I wouldn't be without my No Crack hand cream,
unfortunately comes from America, but if you know anyone out there, get them to get you some, marvellous stuff! ;D

http://www.nocrack.com/
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2006, 09:12:36 »
As a scrub I use salt, any old cooking oil and half a fresh lemon which works great as an exfoliant, EMU oil is I think the best cream for sore hands and great to be used before gardening it catches all the dirt!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 09:15:27 »
Thank you tilts and DP ;) it's so fascinating to see what everyone does to keep their paws in condition! Doris, can you get those rather nice Weeders gloves in the UK? If so, where please? ::)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:17:22 by supersprout »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 09:34:05 »
I like to use the E45 cream or vasioline with cotten gloves at night.
but if your hands are grimy after washing them.
I use a clay facial mask rub all over pay attention to nail aeras and leave to dry and wash off. Lovely clean hands and it refreshes them? strange but true.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 14:34:46 »
Supersprout, mine came from overseas :(  But was going to ask for a pair to be sent over, can ask for 2 pairs if you want! ;)  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 10:49:16 »
This is very interesting.I have promoted myself to thin latex gloves for fiddly potting type things.
All these tips remind me of when I was a lowly apprentice hairdresser, apart from all the shampooing I had to clean the wigs (in spirits), clean the drains and riddle and stoke the stove, clean the basins and mirrors etc. etc.
Prince Charming never came to rescue me (some bald bloke with a beard did instead).
Maybe it was the vaseline caked greasy gloves I wore at night................what if.............................. ;D  ;D  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2006, 11:24:10 »
They're the one's Supersprout - have you found somewhere that sells them? I've got a hole in one of the fingers now and I can't find a replacement anywhere  :'( Other gloves just aren't the same.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 11:41:38 »
Hard to believe for something that you and DP rate so highly, a google showed no agent or retailer in the UK, just overseas suppliers in the US and Canada ???.

They might ship to the UK (or do you have friends/relatives there?) Seems like Weeders have a bit of a cult following over the pond!

http://www.cogersugarhouse.com/tools1.html
http://www.nybgshopinthegarden.org/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3884
http://www.shop-com.co.uk/amos/cc/main/prod/act/8939366/ccsyn/261
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6030&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=680&iSubCat=989&iProductID=6030

Or like the ones you found first off, at a trade show? Good value if they last a whole year  :)

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 12:31:42 »
I've found some gloves on a UK site that look technically very similar to the gloves I've been using but they only come in white (!)

http://garden-gear.co.uk/FORMgallery42.htm

I've ordered a pair, they were only £4.95 (+ £1.45pp) -  I'll give you a verdict when they've been put to use!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2006, 14:42:09 »
Good things come to she who surfs! Yes please do daisy_jane
 ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 19:02:16 »
I don't use gloves but find the C+E handscrub with pumice useful, OH does wear gloves and swears by the SHOWA 370 NBR Palm Fit Grip gloves, she got some at the NEC gardeners world, but they are on the net, based in Shetland, she swears by them and I buy a few pairs every now and then... got her mum and neighbour hooked, do contain latex but lined... very cut/scratch resistant on the front but breathable on the back.
 :)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 22:32:37 »
I don't believe you wimmin!
If you want soft hands, find a sheep!
Give it a good massage(after catching it).
For the blokes, wear wellies & give it one whilst there!
LANOLIN!!!!!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2006, 19:13:55 »
lol telboy, sadly some of us delicate lay-dees are allergic to lanolin, although I do love a nice sheep ;D

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 19:17:59 by supersprout »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal