Author Topic: another raised bed question!!  (Read 1389 times)

becs

• Quarter Acre
another raised bed question!!
« on: April 29, 2006, 19:21:59 »
Right - to recap - am in the process of making a raised bed in the garden to grow vegetables at home with the kids; have chosen a raised bed as the "home" soil is clay and wanted to make it easier for my children to "help"  (they are 4 and 1).

Today I got 2 trailer-loads of soil and now have about 6-7" of soil on top of the clay. Thought I had plenty of soil but FIL reckons I need at least another trailer-load to bring the level up to about 9"

What do you all reckon??  Is 6-7" enough or would I be better getting more soil now and raising the level?  (We want to grow peas, salad crops; butternut squash, pumpkin, sweetcorn and possibily carrots)

thank you in advance!  :) 

Bec

amphibian

Re: another raised bed question!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 19:30:57 »
I'd just break up the clay and mix it with the new topsoil, to form the required depth.

Make sure you break the clay anyway or it may inhibit drainage.

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 21:23:04 »
I've got a raised bed in the garden which is about 7" deep for the same reason as you. I find this deep enough as most of the roots don't get down to the clay and those that do find all that lovely moisture and nutrients that clay soil is so good at holding on to.
It depends what you want to grow of course but the things you listed should be fine.
The only thing I would add is that it will settle and compact a bit with time and water so take that into account.

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 21:49:10 »
Hadn't thought of those points (but I had iyswim?!  ::) )  Perhaps I will fork the soil over (if I can find the fork hidden in the depths of dh's garage.....) and loosed the clay a little, it'll be a few days before I can get more soil.

Thank you both :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:00:12 »
I'd have thought you were OK with what you have. Keep mulching with organic matter and the worms will mix it up for you.

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 10:04:04 »
Have arranged to get another trailer load of soil (all good stuff and organic soil for th last 20 years!  ;D ) at the end of the week, it is a little early I think to be planting stuff out so am starting to harden off in the mini-greenhouse now with the hope of planting  soon :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal