Author Topic: Is it too early?  (Read 1666 times)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
Is it too early?
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:44:17 »
I have courgettes with 4-5 true leaves that  are in a mini green house that is open during the day, is it too early to plant them on the lottie under fleece?Next year I'll remember not to sow too soon (again) ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Is it too early?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:59:14 »
Ani-I took the liberty of checking your profile. I would say it is too early,but why not try anyway?-but sow a couple now just in case

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 14:05:47 »
It's way too early but as Cleo says sow some more just in case. I haven't sowed any of my squashes yet (apart from giant pumpkins), there's still plenty of time to get some more going

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 14:16:37 »
Fleece gives you about two weeks head start so I will be plating out mid May - end of May is the last frost date (in Lincs) (usually but not last year)  With Cheshire being on the West, you may have a slightly earlier last frost date.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 14:28:52 »
Last year, I had 4 plants in large pots which I put out on a bench at the beginning of May to harden them off. They were chopped down by a frost during that week, and completely lost. Fortunately, I had more seed and managed to get another sowing.

My recommendation is keep them wrapped up for at least two more weeks. Fleece will save the day if needed.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 18:38:40 »
Right, I'm keeping them in the mini greenhouse for another two weeks at least. Thanks for advice.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 07:51:48 »
i planted mine out on Saturday, Due to the fact that they have done better than expected, I have made a clotch to put them under and hope that they do survive !!

i also have done a couple extra seeds just in case also

carl
another member of i forgot my password

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 21:59:37 »
Hi

Couldn't believe it when i went up the lottie today, the folks on the plot next to ours have planted out their squashes, tomatoes, and runner beans :o  No protection either.  I've only just planted my beans and squash, I started to panic for a while then I realised it was still really early.

P.
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 01:25:11 »
Last year I had plants badly damaged by frost in mid-June. This year I'll be leaving the protection on till then if they don't outgrow it first, which they probably will. The bees are about three weeks ahead of last year, and I hope this is going to be reflected in the weather.

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 09:21:25 »
Right, I'm keeping them in the mini greenhouse for another two weeks at least. Thanks for advice.

ani - i'm not far from you (liverpool) and i have done the same as  you ..lol ;)

my courgettes are also kicking on various windowsills. with 4 - 5 true leaves.

the weather has been great here (got the tan lines to prove it :))

and lots of bees all buzzing about .. so i'm thinking 2 weeks of putting them outside during the day and bringing them in at night... and then to plant out ...

will let u know how they get on - might plant half out after a week. (funny thing is - i dont like courgette that much :P)

best of luck ...  ;D

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 19:51:18 »
Couldn't wait ;D I've just planted two courgetts under fleece. fingers crossed.  ;D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 19:55:54 »
My neighbour planted hers out early, they got frosted but recovered. 

Good luck

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 08:37:15 »
Here in Essex, the larger of the squash seedlings will be going out on Monday along with one batch of tomatos.  A second squash sowing will then take place to try and lengthen the cropping season.  Our allotment is very sheltered and dry and last year I was very late planting squashes out in May as the old boys get theres out on the 1st May.  I tend to follow their lead as Jack has been gardening on our site for some 40 years.

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 09:09:49 »
I only sowed my courgettes yesterday, as well as the normal type I'm trying the variety eight ball this year. fingers crossed!

Matt

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal