Author Topic: Planting out sweet corn  (Read 5165 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Planting out sweet corn
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 12:25:17 »
I tend to plant direct, this year Kelvedon Glory into rootrainers, they seem to be coming on well, I need to thin some out though. (modified to remove pic)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 22:07:57 by jennym »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 14:54:39 »
Crumbs! Everyone's so early with the corn... I won't even sow for another two weeks! Then they don't get horribly leggy by the time June arrives. Last frost date is  about the 7th June here so daren't put them out until then.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 15:09:33 »
If they are leggy, is that the end for them? Mine look quite a bit taller than those in the picture from jennym, and less stocky. I've never grown them before though so don't really know what to expect. Should I scrap them and start again? They look more like grass growing, with one large grass-like leaf about 8-9 inches high. Many thanks!

(They're 'Swift F1' though, not 'Kelvedon Glory')

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 15:28:15 »
Leggy's not a problem, they're just harder to pop a bottle cloche over if there's a frost forecast...

They do thicken up eventually and you can't tell the difference.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 16:33:17 »
I've been potting mine up in separate little pots, and putting them under cloches for the time being. If it's not done now, they'll very soon get to the point where they can't be separated without serious root damage that really sets them back.

Mrs greenjeans

• Not So New ...
  • fighting the brambles on the banks of the Mole
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 17:25:46 »
Well, you're all encouraging. I'm going to bite the bullet and plant mine out tomorrow. Mine are in those sugar paper plant pots and are getting too tall.

good luck for the op! I'm surrounded by victorian londony gardens and have decided today that my frost risk is officially over.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 22:10:06 »
Hey, what a difference 11 days makes! here is the first sweetcorn picture I took, followed by one taken today

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006, 07:07:21 »
They look healthy jenny. Where did you get the root trainers from?

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 13:48:04 »
Jen
    How/why do you plant 2 in each roottrainer. I have only planted one in each of mine, and they are still in the greenhouse. Last frost last year was first week of June and caught a lot of people out??
Do you split them before planting out or just nip off the smaller plant.?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2006, 23:03:05 »
Notherner - rootrainers courtesy of Supersprout, but you can get then on ebay or direct from Ronaash http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/

Chriszog, I sow 2 seeds per rootrainer and am supposed to thin out the weakest one, haven't got round to doing it yet. I keep them outside but in a sheltered spot, in a plastic mini greenhouse thing they seem to do ok. If a severe frost threatened I might bring them into the house, or put a hot water bottle in the greenhouse. I normally plant out about Whitsun.

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 11:08:50 »
For what it's worth, remember that sweetcrn can get blown over in windy or unsheltered plots. When you plant out, remember to plant quite deep so that the roots can get a good foothold....My Lark goes out next week followed by a second planting in 2 week's time. Sweetcorn with melted butter and Black Pepper...Yum Yum

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 20:56:02 »
I'm desperate to plant mine out but restraining myself until at least the end of the month.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 21:26:45 »
I have planted out three that were over 12 inches tall, my others are about 6 inches in pots, so they can wait I think.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal