Author Topic: We're FULL!!!!!  (Read 2974 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
We're FULL!!!!!
« on: April 27, 2006, 22:42:14 »
Yeehah! We just got told tonight at our April tenants meeting that the town's allotments are officially full at all sites and we have a waiting list!!!

We were at 1/3 occupancy as little as three years ago but started having annual Open Days thanks to a dynamic committee, and things snowballed. People simply didn't know they were there... and now they do. I can't believe some of the plots that are now being worked - they're bramble hell, but coming back into cultivation... it's great to see!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: We're FULL!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 22:54:27 »
That is really good news Moonbells, though not for the people waiting for one, but we appear to have a countrywide boom at the moment, which is great! busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 23:01:05 »
we appear to have a countrywide boom at the moment

I hope it lasts :-\

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 23:07:34 »
well done moonbells, great news.

am off up the equestrian centre over the weekend looking for poo sources and there's a lottie up there which i'm going to pop past.  don't know if my nerves could stand the pressure of a full lottie but am definitely thinking about it.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 00:03:26 »
Yes our allotments are the same ... about 4 years ago, we had an EGM because the site was in danger of being closed down, so a new committee was formed - the old secretary bless him, was kept on as a 'consultant' since he knew everything about everything, but the site needed a dynamic approach. It is now looking very impressive, and it is really exciting to see so much interest.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 12:38:24 »
but we appear to have a countrywide boom at the moment

Agreed, bumped into a friend who announced that she had just got one, and chatting to a london-based colleague who was hankering after one. They're like hot cakes right now!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 13:08:29 »
That is good news.

We have had a little influx now too, think we just have a few plots not taken. Our site has 110/ 120 odd plots and when we got there last June we had about 30 to choose from. is starting to look more like an allotment and less like waste ground now  :D

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 14:34:55 »
Our local council have washed their hands of most of the allotments in the borough now but they have handed them over to the lottie holders to run as a 'self management' scheme.  This has had remarkable consequences.  Before, we were half empty, run down and with threats of the rent going up to £70 in one year and then to £140 the following year.  Since we took over as Self Management, we have a thriving community with waiting lists.  A mini nature patch and bird watch garden.  We have a lock up with 'big' tools to use like the rotavators and deliveries of muck are organised for everyone to share in.  Our £20 a year rent goes into the kitty and none is wasted on 'Admin' costs!

Donna.
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 15:35:18 »
I switched sites from a council run site - no facilities, lots of leased but never used & neglected sites and a single minded atmos' to an autonomous site.  The facilities are better (inc loos) the communal bits are well tended, everyone looks out for the other person, the atmos is soo much better and it's a real joyo to see all the plots used. People garden in different ways and no matter how much recycled material (some would say junk - not me! ;D) varies, but the goal of growing produce is achieved well. 

I think it comes down to those who run the site being interested or not, to the council, it's a job, to allotmenteers it's a bit more effort for greater reward as well as the huge pleasure a well tended site affords.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 15:36:37 »
Our site is full now too and transformed from what it was when we got our plot 3 seasons ago. Our chairman has been very active in getting the council to do things, and for several months we had the "community service boys" doing lots of maintenance work, repairs, shifting rubbish etc. We have communal deliveries of manure, chippings, and occasionally compost - and last week loads of topsoil, although our soil is very good so not sure that its needed!
One of the nicest things - (and I speak as a free bus pass holder  ;D ) is that most of the newcomers seem to be young people and some families. Its great.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 19:27:40 »
i had a click through our local sites that have websites on-line and a fair few have waiting lists, including the one i was going to pop into.

i'll definitely investigate further and get my name down, by the time i get to the top of the list i may have the courage.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 20:21:39 »
we're full in budhill too, with 13 on the waiting list. when i got mine last year there was 3 to choose from. two were given up, and re-rented earlier this year and there's another one next to me thats going to be free soon. the good thing about allotments being more popular is insead of a lot of plots being left overgrown and neglected, they're now being worked by people who are quite knowlegable, or keen to learn as they grow(me). i hope those on the waiting list haven't long to go.

welsh lady

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 20:39:40 »
I got my lottie about 4 years ago.  I saw a notice in the local paper saying that there were plots free so I had a wander down.  By chance the chairman was there and showed me around, he showed me a few plots that were free and so I picked my plot and was able to start work on it straight away.  It already had a shed on it but was it roofless so I soon sorted that out.  The plot was in a very sorry state, but all the chaps at the site kept telling me how the chap that used to have the plot would be really pleased to see that someone had taken it over. 

Only about half the lotties were taken when I got mine but now I hear that we have a waiting list of about 15 people (there are only about 40 lotties on the site).  People are taking quarter plots just to get on the site with the hope that they will be able to expand later.

I'm just glad that I got my plot when I did seeing all the interest that there is now.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 01:23:33 »
Mrs KP, I would urge you to put your name down NOW, especially as you say there's already a waiting list - this will only get longer!

And don't worry about courage - the day you get the news that you've got an allotment you will turn into a lionheart! Love will do the rest (oh, and some digging as well)!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal