Author Topic: Chrysanthemum cuttings  (Read 1886 times)

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Chrysanthemum cuttings
« on: April 27, 2006, 10:34:33 »
I have lots of lovely chrysanthemum cuttings in my greenhouse taken from shoots of last year's plants and they are doing fine. I also experimented by taking a cutting from the stem of a flower my wife bought from the supermarket and it has rooted really well! The only problem is that, although it has a healthy root system it has produced absolutely no new shoots or growth above the soil. I've kept it in my heated propagator for the last three weeks to try and boost it a bit but still no new growth.

Does anybody have any advice about encouraging new shoots or is my experiment doomed to failure and I will be left with a healthy plant with only two leaves forever...

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Chrysanthemum cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 20:59:26 »
I would take it out of the propagator and let it settle to grow in a normal temperature and just wait.There is no reason for it not to put out new shoots once it starts a steady life.If it should start to get root bound before it breaks then give a weak nitrogen feed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 19:48:33 by laurieuk »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 22:58:14 »
It will shoot eventually, so long as you have some leaf nodes

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 16:33:03 »
Quote; I've kept it in my heated propagator for the last three weeks to try and boost it a bit but still no new growth.

I think the answer is in this statement, they are too warm in my opinion, Chrysant like warm feet and cool heads.

I find once rooted an air  temperature of 40°-50° F (4°-10°C) ideal

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal