Author Topic: Sweetcorn and rats  (Read 2264 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Sweetcorn and rats
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:37:07 »
For the past 2 years I've grown sweetcorn and both years the rats have got to the cobs before me.  I've been debating whether or not to bother this year.

Has anyone else managed to find a way of deterring/preventing rats from eating their sweetcorn?  I vaguely remember reading a post last year about someone using pipes of some sort, but I've tried searching the archive and can't find it.

Any tips much appreciated.

Sweet-pea

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Sweetcorn and rats
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 15:25:22 »
Never heard of that one before, do you grow them under cover by any chance?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 16:21:24 »
I've had birds getting into cobs, but not rats; that's one thing they don't seem to have cottoned on to yet.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 22:43:43 »
I had something nibbling at my sweetcorn last year, I thought it was mice as they seemed to have their fill from the lower end, I think if it were rats they may have gobbled up far more :-\

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:14:00 »
The lady on the plot next to mine has hers fenced all round, mine is open. One year, we both grew sweetcorn, almost side by side.
When the cobs were ripe, hers got eaten (and we saw mice) but mine didn't. I think it was because predators were able to get to the mice on my plot, being open, but the mice had a free run on hers!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 16:08:58 »
Well it could be mice, I've seen both on my plot, but they eat a lot if they are the culprits.  What makes me think it's rodents as opposed to birds is the way they look as if they've been eaten.  Looks more like nibbling rather than pecking.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 16:39:41 »
When I was cleaning the stalks of sweet corn off plot their was my culprit a squirrel trying to break  of a imature ear. He ran off behind the shed looking at me. To his surprise I took the 4 usles cobs and threw them on the carpet out side the shed.
Now thinking about it may not have been such a good idea him and his friends may be back this year for more oh well have to grow more plants to make sure I get some. ha ha

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 18:26:54 »
It sounds like squirrels to me/ shades x
grow your own way

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:23:39 »
Hasn't it already been said that squirrels are rats but with good PR?  ;)
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 12:02:34 »
It has been said by a few?
But squirrels are cute, cheeky, amusing with acrobatics and natures very own gardeners.
They will plant or replant may not be where you want them.
But as for rats I dont find any of the above relates to them. Dont get me wrong very intellegent clean creatures not my cup of tea. Just give me a cheeky squirrell anytime

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal