Author Topic: slow growing melons  (Read 2733 times)

Ricado

• Half Acre
slow growing melons
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:35:59 »
ive some melons on the go, but theyre very slow growing, when everything else is rocketing.

Theyre greenish, but the leaves feel dry and almost crispy in feel.  Theyre not under watered, have plenty of light and ive tried them on and off the heat bench ???
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

Dixie

• Not So New ...
  • we all have a purpose
Re: slow growing melons
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:02:00 »
I've always struggled with melons and not sure why...........often the seedlings look healthy and strong and then just wither away...and last year I was only left with one plant :(.....persevere and maybe do another sowing just in case - sorry i know this isn't alot of help but just letting you know you are not alone  :)
don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 20:50:11 »
I had a bit of a disaster last year: frazzled one to a crisp on the windowsill; the next died in the greenhouse (may have waterlogged it?); the third made it outside only to give up the growing ghost, I eventually yanked it up after a month of watching paint dry... result = not a sausage.

Trying again this year!  :D

Two seedlings now germinated (three days ago), and they were immediately moved to the unheated greenhouse - no scorched melon fritters this time around... although I await with trepidation their next moves.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 22:54:36 »
I have exactly the same problem, so this year I have sown dozens of seeds, and have my sister doing the same to see if between us we can get a couple of plants.  Mine always germinate just fine, then do nothing, and then die.  Already this season I have lost an entire tray of cantaloupe seedlings to a mystery.  Now before someone says, 'Ooo, Emma, you don't wash your pots do you ....etc', I have with these because of the problems I have!  I have tried them in pots, trays, pre-germ on wet tissue, John Innes, compost, jiffy 7's.  You name it, I have tried it.  So there must be something we are doing wrong, and someone out there is a master melon grower.......someone.....anyone?????

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 23:14:40 »
Hope you find a Melon Master, Emma Jane - think he/she would be very popular!  Last year mine germinated well, came on well but then it all went pearshaped (well definitely not melon shaped!).  Think I was too cautious/greedy leaving too many flowers on, didn't help with pollination either and just maybe gave up too soon - but trying again this year ......
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 23:22:47 »
Keep them warm & humid but the roots shouldn't be too wet (they need to be kept much warmer than tomatoes & squashes or the leaves drop off, 15°c). I won't be sowing mine for a couple of weeks yet, the weather is still too cool

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 23:39:45 »
Then that's another to add to the list, Merry, cos I definitely overwatered :(
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 00:10:52 »
If the leaves haven't dropped off yet you still have a chance to save them

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 00:20:46 »
Right, that's me out to the greenhouse to bring the shivering mites back in again... what do you think is best...

- east facing windowsill
- west facing windowsill

???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:45:54 »
Either will do, whichever is in the warmer room ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:48:22 by supersprout »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal