Author Topic: Sweet pea problem  (Read 2129 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Sweet pea problem
« on: April 09, 2006, 15:34:06 »
I never seem to do very well with sweet peas. I've grown some in rootrainers this year and have pinched out the tops. They are now all about 5" high but they are all falling over and in some cases nearly coming out of the compost all together. What can I do to keep them upright? I'm worried they are all going to get tied up in each other when they start producing tendrils. Also, how many times can I/ should I pinch out the tips?

Cat

• Quarter Acre
Re: Sweet pea problem
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 19:20:14 »
I am just the same, don't seem to have much luck with mine either.  Giving them another go this year.  Have just sown some in small pots and am determined to get them right this time. 

;)
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 19:22:32 »
Can you not give them mini supports to grow up?? like green garden canes or old pencuils etc... is what I do?

is there a reason why you have not planted them out yet where you want them to climb? they are hardy?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 20:02:11 »
Thanks. Guess I need to get them hardened off & planted out asap.

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 20:31:59 »
You can remove the tendrils from them to stop them getting twisted toghether, i would get them into a cold frame and hardened off now and you can plant them but remember to give them some protection like wrapping fleece around them held away with canes ot prop some glass or plastic against the canes for a few weeks.
Removing the tendrils is what we do for showing sweetpeas as we want long straight stems :)

robm

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 13:26:24 »
At which point due you pinch the tops of the sweet peas out.

Rob

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 13:57:42 »
Rob,

I pinch the tops out when there are 3 pairs of leaves, this encourages tiller and more shoots for your money.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 10:36:22 »
I've never grown sweet peas before but yesterday planted mine out (which I bought from a garden centre in a pot) about 24 little seedlings I think which I've gradually hardened off and now have ready to climb the wigwam I've made for them......I'd swear they've grown overnight!!

I see that I have to pinch the tops out - what I'd like to know is - do I have to start 'encouraging' them to go up the canes by tying them in once they're long enough and I can get them to go round the canes?

I didn't have any trouble separating the 'longish roots' - just pulled the lot apart, divided & tidied them up a bit, and planted 2 seedlings to each station.

Time will tell!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 10:38:20 »
should have said I'd planted them out in a large hexagonal pot - into which I've put the wigwam.....had my tiny patio extended yesterday and it's lovely to have a bit more room to put a few more things :)

H.P

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 23:14:47 »
Ifind thay they do better if tied in until they've "grabbed hold" of supports like bamboos - otherwise, they can trail along the ground pointlessly.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 07:26:23 »
my early sowings are in the ground, pinched and tied to twine supports.  they don't like smooth things to climb up apparently.  with their fleece windbreak they've survived a hell of a battering.

the second sowings are hardening off now so i guess they'll go in tonight when i get back from work.  i only had one or two blooms last year due to lack of space/sun, so i'm hoping for great things this year.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 00:12:58 »
To support tall seedlings like sweet peas or pumpkins, I use those wooden barbecue skewers - I bought a pack of 100 from the local 99p shop.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal