Author Topic: Six Months On  (Read 1823 times)

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
Six Months On
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:17:19 »
Hi all.  Well it's been six months since me and my mother took on our allotment (60ft x 70ft) and it sure looks different!  My mom and I have an agreement, I do all the heavy labour and she passes me the mugs of tea.  ;D Then mom will do the harvesting while I cook on the Barby.   8)  Anyway the first pic was in October when it was sunny and the second was taken at the end of a rainy day last week when everything was still decidedly damp!

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Six Months On
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:20:20 »
WOW, very impressive! And what a huge plot :o
Lots of hard work and cups of tea gone into that!! I hope you feel very proud, you should do! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:11:06 »
Congratulation MH, that is amazing, -  as DP said lots of back breaking work must have gone into that transformation.  You should feel justly proud. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 13:17:50 »
:o

Crikey me! It looks HUGE! Well done to you and your Mum (never underestimate the restorative powers of tea) for all the hard work. What will the wooden structure be when it's grown up?

;D

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 20:12:41 »
Very impressive you must have worked really hard. you were lucky to take on a plot that was just grassed over without the additional rubish, glass, carpet etc. etc. etc.. Hope you reap lots of produce this year.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 21:05:21 »
Well done Dave (and mum); I know it's a lot of hard work - and you do have a large plot.  Isn't it nice to be able to look back at last years photos and remind ourselves of how much we have achieved  ;D

What is the the "construction" going to be?

mat

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 21:21:22 »
Hiya all

Thanks for your kind comments, yes we are feeling chuffed with the results of our hard work.  Looks can be decieving Ani as it has resembled more of an archaelogical dig, at times. ;)  I keep finding glass, bricks, twisted metal and bits of charred wood in the soil as I dig. 

It was once occupied after the war until the 70's when it was abandoned, and it grassed over.  So natch, the remains of the shed and greenhouse ended up in the soil.  The wooden structure gonna be a fruit cage when it's finished and there's a bean frame erected near to it.  We're tying 8 strips of 1.6m x 6m  nylon netting together, well my mom is, as she's banished me to other parts of the plot for getting impatient and frustrated with the blinking things! ;D  It'll be worth it when it's finished (repeat ad nauseum!)
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 07:55:58 »
goodness gracious me.  plenty of long hot baths along with the tea i suspect.

you're an inspiration.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 08:31:43 »
:o :o
Wow Dave, you really have been digging for victory! It's SO inspiring to see what you've done already with a really unpromising site, hope you are getting lots of praise (or envy) from your lottie neighbours too. Especially when several months of last year the plot must have been undiggable! Love the Bean Frame, please post a pic when the beans are romping up it.

This mum 'n son division of labour works well, doesn't it? I am also allowed Light Weeding ;) ;D

SSx

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 11:11:18 »
Not much to say that hasn't already been said.
wow and wow several times over!!

Keep the pics coming please.
Lorna

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 12:37:40 »
Thanks for all your kind comments, our heads are getting so big, we're having trouble getting out the front  door. ;D  Actually, the grass was removed by the council, which is probably just as well! 

I also  feel I should point out that I've had to give up work for a time, and took on the allotment for therapeautic reasons, and therefore I spend quite a few hours down the allotment during the week, doing a little bit and often.  It's much easier than if you've got a day job and only have evenings and weekends. ;D 

I've now built up to 4 hour stretches and it's not so much "digging for victory" as "digging for health"! ;)   We got our garlic, onions, shallots in over the last 3 months and my potatoes in over the last 3 weeks.  We've just gotta get sowing now.  In case you're wondering we are going to give any veg surplus to at least 6 other people at the last count!  Roll on the summer, when I can take it easier!... ;D

Dave

P.S.  I'll sort some photos out and post them as time goes on.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 16:19:45 »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal