Author Topic: Waterproof tape for the greenhouse?  (Read 2533 times)

sweet_dumpling

• Not So New ...
Waterproof tape for the greenhouse?
« on: April 20, 2006, 12:52:52 »
My greenhouse has a few cracks in it where the wind comes in. Would it be possible to mend it with waterproof tape? Is there a special waterproof transparent tape for greenhouses that anyone could recommend please? Or is there a better way? the largest hole is 5cm high by 20cm. Thank you

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Waterproof tape for the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 16:25:16 »
The only one that I have found that stays on long-term is a foil backed one - can't recall the name. Possibly Sylglas?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 17:29:28 »
:-\

I just inherited my greenhouse with my new plot. I have never had one before, so was well chuffed to find that replacing panes is not as scary or difficult as it sounds! Three panes had blown out of mine, including a triangular one which looked even more awkward to me! Lovely guy on the site came and showed me how to do the first one and left me to it with the others. Pair of gloves, pair of pliers and it was done! Just new clips required, and new panes which I found in the shed (lucky me!) but i dont think greenhouse glass is very expensive? Have a go, if I can do it anyone can and it would be better than tape in the long run.

;)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 21:25:10 »
You can get transparent Duck tape, which sticks to anything and stays stuck!  but it's not cheap.  Replacing the glass might be a better option.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:43:39 »
Clear silicone sealer does the job ..Run it along the cracks if they are small.  If they are wide run silocone around crack and stick a piece of glass over it  ..  I have even stuck broken panes together with it ..Cheers... Jim
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 09:50:45 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

Dixie

• Not So New ...
  • we all have a purpose
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:48:25 »
Was exactly what I was going to say Growmore, I used clear silicone to fill in nookes and crannies in my greenhouse :)
don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal