Author Topic: Near calamity!  (Read 1940 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Near calamity!
« on: April 24, 2006, 17:02:15 »
I checked out my filter / waterfall unit this afternoon, and found the first chamber full of caddis larvae, water boatmen, beetles and hundreds of taddies. They had been sucked up by the pump, and got as far as the foam in the first chamber. If I hadn't checked, the mortality would have been frightening, not to mention the effect on water quality as they all eventually died.
Anyone else who has taddies would do well to check their own filters.

JeremyB

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Near calamity!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 21:49:20 »
Generally,if you have a nature pond ,for amphibians,plants and insects,there is absolutely no need for a filter or pump.So long as you don't have fish you will not have a problem.It only arises when people try and mix the species.It just doesn't work,as you have found out.I am aware that many people who have a fish pond do get frogs in them because they are desperate for any body of water,but in general ,as in my fish pond,you do not get many insects.I have 2 fish ponds and one nature pond and  all the residents seem to know their place!!
Margaret

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:26:40 »
I don't have fish, though I do intend to get a few minnows just to keep the mosquito larvae down. I have found in the past (on a smaller pond) that the level of poo with a large population of taddies does need filtration - in any case, I like my waterfall.
The problem with my new pond is that the first stage filtration happens in the poolside box, rather than at the pump. My previous pump had foam filters, preventing the taddies from being sucked in.
JeremyB

Jayjay18

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:18:25 »
Is good for the fish that they mix in one place?The good for that is they can use a filter in one ponds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal