Author Topic: Beetroot and Parsnips  (Read 1363 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Beetroot and Parsnips
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:22:45 »
Hello,

I was wondering if beetroot and parsnip can be sarted in rootrainers or if it's better so sow them directly onto prepared beds. I remember reading that carrots and radish suffer too much if their roots are moved about - is this the case with beetroots and parsnips as well??

Thanks,
Vaca

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Beetroot and Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 11:50:16 »
I always sow parsnips direct.
Beetroot - occasionally I germinate in a seed tray, or small cells, and put out when about 1/2" big, usually though just sow direct.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 12:22:47 »
would direct sow parsnips as the roots form almost before the first leaves do - root trainers are not long enough for that. save yourself the bother.

first time growing beetroot so have just sown them directly and await results. sory not much help
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 12:40:43 »
Is it worth sowing beetroot in root trainers? I always sow directly into the ground, and have copious amounts, more than we ever eat ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 14:47:11 »
I started them both off in peat pots last year as the bed they were to go in wasn't prepared in time.
The Beetroot was fine, but about 60% of the parsnips had forked. That could have been from the peat pots or the bed they went into, 'cos there are quite a few stones in it.
I'm doing the same this year 'cos they're going in a new bed which we haven't finished  preparing just yet.  ::) But this time I'm going to do the 'make a big hole & fill it with compost ' method.   ;)

Dixie

• Not So New ...
  • we all have a purpose
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 15:02:02 »
I have always sown both beetroot and parsnips direct, a little thinning if necessary, and usually have a decent crop :)
don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 19:57:37 »
We used to sow a small amount of radish seed mixed with the parsnip seed so that you could see where the row was and start hoeing any seedling weeds before the parsnips showed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal