Author Topic: Petrol Strimmer?  (Read 34583 times)

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
Re: Petrol Strimmer?
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 16:01:08 »
McCullochs are prone to piston ring seizure usually caused by incorrect fuel mix (33:1 with most oils)  this inturn will cause low compression although the recoil may seem stiff to pull due to the seizure.
If this is what as happened --its a right off :'(
Check by removing the exhaust and look at the bore.
Incidentally 2-stroke mix settles and separates when stood. Always remember to shake the can before filling up. This also applies any fuel left in the machine.

Stork

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 23:08:12 »
Have a look on e-bay. I have just bought a brand new MacCulloch still in the box, Retail price £190...e-bay price £84.00. 

I haven't used it yet but I'm sure it'll make mincemeat of anything I need to slash. It's got a blade too which it says will cut through shrub stems up to 4 inches.

Probably all a bit over the top for the lottie but will be great for attacking the overgrown wilderness at my little place in France.

Stork.
Have no fear of perfection. You will never reach it. (Salvador Dali)

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 15:39:50 »
... but has anyone actually used any of the extra heads - e.g. the tiller option?

I like the idea of being able to trim the edges, and do the beds, without having to have multiple machines!
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

amphibian

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2006, 21:13:27 »
... but has anyone actually used any of the extra heads - e.g. the tiller option?

I like the idea of being able to trim the edges, and do the beds, without having to have multiple machines!
I seem to remember someone having the hedge trimmer head for theirs.

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2006, 12:12:08 »
I'm still not sure which is the best option for controlling the grass paths.

I'm 'quite' tempted with a pair of shears, although this is going to be hard work now. Does anyone use a push along mower - I don't want to be laughed at on the lottie but I need to do something soon, last year I used weedkiller and I really don't want to do that again...

Do petrol strimmers work in the wet, or when the grass is wet? If I wait for it to dry out I'm afraid the grass will be about 3 feet high  :-\

Oh no it's thundering again, that'll be another 2" of growth  :-\

Aaahhhh!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2006, 12:19:44 »
our petrol strimmer works okay on wet/damp grass. the push pull mowers (non-powered ones) are okay for short grass but once it gets too long you'll have a job trying to cut it with one of those.

Something I thought about yesterday whilst at the allotment, a lot of us have a petrol strimmer/generator etc, why didn't we all get together and share-buy one that we can all use, it seems silly us all having our own one which we only use once a week or less. If there are others at your site who don't have a petrol strimmer why not ask if they'd be interested in clubbing together to share buy one.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2006, 12:55:47 »

I seem to remember someone having the hedge trimmer head for theirs.

Yes, I have the hedge cutter head for my Tanaka petrol strimmer, one of the best things I have ever bought, saves me hours of work when I come to cut my hedges, which is twice a year.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2006, 14:29:28 »
Thanks Jesse it's reassuring to know they work on wet grass. I will need to strim now before I could cut it with any type of mower. I hired a strimmer last year when I was starting out but would be looking for something slightly smaller and easier to manage than the big industrial beastie they gave me!

I've taken note of the test driven machines A4Aers (?) have used and will be looking in the local DIY shops later.

Unfortunatley there aren't that many plots on our site (which is whey the parish council don't give us priority for grounds maintenance) so not many people to share stuff with..

BTW I went to a v.large garden centre (Frosts) at the w/e and after walking round amongst the BBQ's for a bit eventually asked where the mowers and strimmers were and was told they don't sell them - can't compete with the DIY shops! Garden centre = no mowers??

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 14:52:35 »
one day garden centres won't sell plants either! ::)

have a look at screwfix too, their prices are quite reasonable sometimes.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2006, 16:44:33 »
I went ahead and finally got a McCulloch Promac 320X petrol strimmer after reading all the threads on this. Thanks for everyone's comments.

The spark plug was sawn off before I could get to use it (not sure how it happened) and have temporarily replaced it with the spark plug from a cultivator I have, the same size. The strimmer was impressive once it got going, having only used an electric strimmer run off a generator. It's much heavier, but then it does it in half the time.

One concern though, and I wonder if anyone else has also had trouble... trying to find spares for the McCulloch is not an easy thing... still haven't found anywhere that sells the spark plugs, so I'm going to have to buy them from the company I got the cultivator from. For a well-known brand I find it quite unusual. If anyone knows any different, please could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.  :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2006, 19:40:09 »
Thinking of an EBay bid for a petrol strimmer, could certainly do with it at the plot, but with postage at £23 to Belgium it sort of kills the bargain!

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2006, 19:56:06 »
have temporarily replaced it with the spark plug from a cultivator I have, the same size.

One concern though, ... still haven't found anywhere that sells the spark plugs, so I'm going to have to buy them from the company I got the cultivator from.
Thanks.  :)

What type of plug and what is the code on it?
Eg.  NGK- BPRM20
I can not understand your difficulty in finding plugs ??? If you can give me the code i can tell you the equivalent for all the common brands

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2006, 21:34:00 »
 :o

Just a comment...my Ryobi 2345 or something (B&Q £80 last year) has been completely ignored since last October. Could not remember if I left fuel in it or not. Got it out on Tuesday and filled up with fuel, got the instructions out...followed them...IT STARTED!!!

It will do for me!!!

;)

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2006, 10:15:55 »
B&Q are selling a JCB petrol strimmer for about £65. I'm hoping to get one for my birthday. Can anyone recommend this one?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2006, 12:41:28 »
Ditto Katy, year after year.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2006, 16:48:05 »
So you can recomend Ryobi? Kate and Euro. Sprout my brother had a JCB hedge trimmer, proper pile of poo only lasted 3 months. Argos have strimmers in at the mo £30 off never heard of the make though Landxcape its £49.99 Decisions decisions. It might be worth forking out an extra £30 or £40 and getting something Reliable.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2006, 17:11:00 »
 :-\

Northerner...this is the only strimmer I have ever owned, so not in a position to compare. All I can say is that mine has coped with all the average lottie can throw at it, it's not too heavy and makes no more or less noise than any other I have heard. Also, judging by my shameful neglect over the winter, it can take a fair amount of abuse without coughing and giving up the ghost.

If I had to buy another one I would buy the same!

;)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2006, 20:36:24 »
Argos have strimmers in at the mo £30 off never heard of the make though Landxcape its £49.99

Bought one last week, looks decent quality wise, does everything it's meant to. Time will tell

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2006, 22:19:27 »
Argos have strimmers in at the mo £30 off never heard of the make though Landxcape its £49.99 Decisions decisions. It might be worth forking out an extra £30 or £40 and getting something Reliable.

I bought that make and sent it back in less than a week, petrol leakage and poor starting scared me off of it, they also trade under a different name, (Hilka) also from Argos. :P :o >:(

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2006, 23:12:18 »
Well mine is over a week old now and it's fine  :P

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal