Author Topic: Petrol Strimmer?  (Read 34569 times)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
Re: Petrol Strimmer?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 17:48:04 »
I have seen a couple that have a disc type blade for thicker stuff. You need to go for about a 30cc motor to get the blade option. Thats about £100.. Not sure if I need to go that expensive. Knowing me I will ponder about it for ages and every visit think I need to buy one but keep attacking it with the shears.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 11:27:34 »
I got a Stihl -because it has a long hedgetrimmer attachment which means that I can reach 10' plus. The price grieved me -but it's already paid back the cost of someone cutting the hedges -and when I did it by hand, I was out of work, and  it took the best part of a week.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 11:33:55 »
Envious here derbex, good investment a Stihl!
Grassroots, euronerd, what model Ryobi did you get?

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 13:46:16 »
Hi jenny, I just dug out the paperwork and it's a RCT2800. I don't know if they're still available but I've had no complaints with this one, which is just starting its 8th season. There's a little label on the engine that says 'made in USA', and for all these years I've assumed it was something that came out of the East lol.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Rain

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 15:01:19 »
As the engines are up by the handle, do you find them very smelly with the fumes? Thanks.

onionhead

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 15:15:56 »
I gave my plot a good going over with a petrol strimmer last weekend and they're not too bad smell-wise. Can be rather noisy (but you get used to it) and apart from a bit of smoke when first started up it was an OK experience. I'd advise goggles though - my face and hair were caked in chopped grass and bramble (and a few disembowelled slugs!) within minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 15:27:04 »
I gave my plot a good going over with a petrol strimmer last weekend and they're not too bad smell-wise. Can be rather noisy (but you get used to it) and apart from a bit of smoke when first started up it was an OK experience. I'd advise goggles though - my face and hair were caked in chopped grass and bramble (and a few disembowelled slugs!) within minutes.

Goggles and ear defenders are compulsory as far as I'm concerned. I got some strimmed nettle in my eye despite the goggles yesterday! Stones are even worse, though even if you do have ear and eye protection, remember to keep your mouth shut!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 20:30:27 »
3rd'ed -I strimmed some nettles and the goggles were covered.. Strimming's OK for fumes -but using it as a hedgecutter you end up with a lot more as the motor is in front of you (not enough to make me cough though).

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 13:25:15 »
Does anyone have experience of the split shaft strimmers that allow you to unbolt the strimmer head and substitute a mini rotovator?

I have fixed beds, and can't get a full sixed rotovator in, so this looks like a good option ...
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 20:20:57 »
we got a Stihl last year and must admit was worth every penny.  Hubby strimmed whole lottie in about an hour on Sunday.  Noisy but didn't notice any fumes.  Definately must have goggles (hubby very keen on Health and Safety) as a stray twig flew several metres and hit me...

p.s  love your signature misterphil - as fellow ICT teacher I know where you are coming from.....!

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 22:03:54 »
I bought my strimmer today after pondering on it for a while. Good job too, I was going to pay £139.99 in a local shop (Elmers Hardware Kesgrave) cheaper than on the net. When I got there it was the last one but had a damaged box.... Oh no not a damaged box! They had marked it down to £89.99. How quick did I carry it to the checkout? Bloody quick!
Anyway used it for a few hours and now 6 hours later my arm is still shaking! Could only just hang on to my pint!

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 09:33:27 »
On the technical side.....
H.A.V.S   Hand-Arm-Vibration-Syndrome or the cause of white finger.....

Stihls KM series that allow you to change from the strimmer to hedgecutter gives an allowed time of 30 minutes per day before damage to the hands will happen
the larger stihl FS series (50cc) on nylon cord 4 hours max with blade 2 hours
This assumes that the antivibration bushes are no older then the permitted 12 month old legal limit for industrial use.

The domestic  strimmers/hedgecutters tend to have no A.V. bushes. Due to at moment there is no legal reason for manufactures to fit them (you buy it and take the risk of personal damage) 

But you can be assured the vibration risk of damage is a lot lower then a few hours !!

As for fumes and noise  with the engine being so close to you... the exhaust is designed with the output pointing away from you  to help clear the fumes away from you. But if the wind is blowing to you ....well....
 Noise... 2 stroke give out around 95 to 110 decibels so hearing protection needs to be worn

you can get 4 stroke strimmers ..the noise is lower, the vibration is lower( but still will cause damage) due to running at around 4500rpm compared to 2 stroke at 10,000rpm  but the cost is higher..... ::)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 21:05:20 »
As for fumes and noise  with the engine being so close to you... the exhaust is designed with the output pointing away from you  to help clear the fumes away from you. But if the wind is blowing to you ....well....
 Noise... 2 stroke give out around 95 to 110 decibels so hearing protection needs to be worn

I ride a 2 stroke Vespa so I know all about vibration nad noise ;)
On a more serious side I've stopped shaking now but my muscles are still sore. A little less next time I think.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 21:24:54 »
;) Domestic electrical tools are a lot cheaper and/or you may already have them, have you considered buying a generator instead?

You can run a variety of tools off a genny, saws, hedge trimmers, drills, strimmers, you can even boil a kettle. ;D

I absolutely agree with that suggestion of a generator. We bought a petrol strimmer (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=67550&ts=46926) and I don't enjoy using it, it's noisy and tends to run away with me, I can't strim the path edges neatly like I can do with my electric strimmer. It's good for cutting rough grass but if you want neatness and straight edging then forget it. We then bought a generator which we used for the first time today (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=43168&ts=46599) and it's fantastic, much quieter, uses very little fuel by comparison and I'll be able to use the mower and any other electric power tools and garden tools that I want to. And it's about half the price we paid for the stimmer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 21:27:20 by Jesse »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2006, 22:37:58 »
;D Shrewd buyer Jesse ;) incidentally I bought an electric strimmer that I am very pleased with that really does the biz down on the lottie, I paid £40 for it last September it is a Black and Decker GL290 http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=4501&langId=-1&searchTerms=0420927

I have just had a thought ::) does anyone use a circuit breaker with their genny's? I see the more modern ones have them built in, I must try one with  it :o

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 03:14:11 »

Very technical, but also very interesting. Thank you.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 18:58:28 »
My eye Jesse, I didn't realise gennies were so inexpensive! :o If I do need power tools on the plot, I'll definitely think about going down the gennie plus electric route.

For anyone interested, the Which report, June 2005 gives the following Best Buys:

The Flymo Contour 500 Power Plus (exclusive to B&Q) was the clear Best Buy of the mains electric models. It combined power with ease of use — we particularly liked the way its head rotated for edging and the edging wheel.

The Wolf GT845 is more expensive, but is light and performed equally well. We liked its adjustable wheels for edging.

We cannot wholeheartedly recommend any of the cordless models, but the Bosch Accutrim 23 was the best of the bunch. With plastic blades rather than a line, it was easy to use and should cope with a well-kept lawn.

Petrol machines are worth considering for tackling rough vegetation or long grass, but are awkward for lawn edging, and noisy. Our Best Buy is the Performance Power PWR21CCSGTA — it just out-performed the other models.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 19:00:49 by supersprout »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 09:35:36 »
My OH was all for giving up the allotment yesterday after failing to get our petrol strimmer started! It'a McCulloch, not sure what model. We had it serviced last year because it was so hard to start, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.Any tips, please?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 09:41:59 »
My OH was all for giving up the allotment yesterday after failing to get our petrol strimmer started! It'a McCulloch, not sure what model. We had it serviced last year because it was so hard to start, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.Any tips, please?

Make sure it is on full choke, keep pulling until it coughs, then switch to half choke, pull and it should start.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 15:20:43 »
Make sure the fuel in the strimmer is fresh if more than a month old discard it safely and refill with recently purchased fuel not stuff you have kept from last year.

If it has been serviced then I would suspect bad fuel. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal