Author Topic: This is probably too gentle for the Watershed - & inappropriate here -  (Read 9014 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
strange post !

obviously a Manchester United supporter !   :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Pete - since you admit to neither age, gender, appearance, location nor language, it's a bit difficult to frame a reply to your comment. But you do remind me of a recently departed friend of the forum.

I was the first to admit that my choice of location was dicy but, as to content, I felt that it was just as valid as flying simulators or the death of a Pop Star??

P'raps we should not even have mentioned Her majesty's Birthday??

Curryandchips

• Hectare
I for one, believe that this post is correctly located, it is general chit chat, with nothing offensive ... and a rewarding thread to boot.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

AndrewB

• Half Acre
I agree the sculpture should have receive some funding and am appalled about the MUFC and Granada handouts. However please don't be too quick to criticize (Daily Mail style) other grants such as those to prostitute groups, refugees etc.   These people rarley chose to be in the situaiton they are in - would you?  And it is in everybody's interest that they are supported to make a more positive contribution tosociety and their community and that is the type of activity which usually supported - often by the lottery when many other funders won't.

tim

• Hectare
I agree that it was perhaps an unfortunate comparison, but a point was made??

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
But prostitutes and one of the richest football clubs in the world are ok for a handout? Makes me sick.
i think the statement about 'the prostitutes' was very abridged in the original snippet, and i have no trouble whatsoever for money to go to a charity that looks after and helps women who have been forced into prostitution and need help getting out.

i also think that the monument should have had some funding - i know how difficult it is to get money from the lottery as we have been involved with building sports facilities that required some funding from sport england (who get a slice of money from the lottery). they fund sports facilities for children which they would otherwise not be able to provide for them.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

pansy

• Quarter Acre

i think the statement about 'the prostitutes' was very abridged in the original snippet, and i have no trouble whatsoever for money to go to a charity that looks after and helps women who have been forced into prostitution and need help getting out.

i also think that the monument should have had some funding - i know how difficult it is to get money from the lottery as we have been involved with building sports facilities that required some funding from sport england (who get a slice of money from the lottery). they fund sports facilities for children which they would otherwise not be able to provide for them.

Point taken, I hadn't really stopped to think through the prostitutes bit to be honest, or why they'd need any money. Of course as thats why, thats a really good cause so not to be faulted., I apologise for not taking notice of it correctly. Still can't see re Man Utd though!
Is there no way appeals can be made if a request is turned down? Is there no overseeing body ( dont know what to call it, sorry ) like Oftel, Ofgas etc? Seems a real shame.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 16:14:26 by pansy »

tim

• Hectare
It may be better in the end to save those still living, rather than commemorate those who aren't?

It was just the ignorant & unnecessary 'slap-in-the-face' for the Monument that got my goat.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Are you forcing yourself to split hairs here Tim? Both are correct in my view.

' ... And in the morning, we will remember them ...' ?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
It does seem a bit unnecessary, but then I get annoyed when I find vast sums being spent on monuments and statuary, etc., while people suffer. Having lived and worked in various red light districts over the years, I've found that none of the ladies go into it through free choice, and they all hate it. I felt that particular jibe was uncalled for.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
Tim, I agree with curry, there is a place both for public art which enhances people's environment and helps remember the past and obviously funding for activities to help people in difficulties.

tim

• Hectare
Possibly to wind this up - & unwind myself? - it was a friend who got me into this!

All it needed to prevent an explosion was for the Authorities to say that they had so many life-support schemes on their hands that they could not, at at time, help fund a Monument.

And it was, I believe, ill-advised to suggest that the 'event' had no place in history.

As said, the Monument was funded by subscription, which probably means that more people may feel associated with it than had it been stuck up by a grateful Government?

In  anyones language, it's well worth a visit!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
It does seem a bit unnecessary, but then I get annoyed when I find vast sums being spent on monuments and statuary, etc., while people suffer. Having lived and worked in various red light districts over the years, I've found that none of the ladies go into it through free choice, and they all hate it. I felt that particular jibe was uncalled for.

imho we all have a choice.  or at least we make our choices and then have to cope with the consequences of our actions.

some cope better than others.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 18:02:28 by MrsKP »
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Sucellus

• Not So New ...
I hope it's appropriate for a newbie to post here, not knowing any of you yet, if it's not I apologise.

I don't think the abused have choices, those not so fortunate as to have an understanding family, I don't think that poor woman who jumped from the Humber Bridge felt she had any choices, it seems very easy to make snap decisions about things we, most certainy I, have no comprehension of.

Tim, a very worthy monument, and each indivdual will have causes they feel need funding.... each pulling for their own beliefs...
Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread

tim

• Hectare
No passport needed, Sucellus - but it would be nice to see your 'profile'? Most of ours are open for your inspection. Some way toward an introduction both ways?

PS - again - it was not me looking for my name to be cast in bronze.
I would have been quite happy to have it left off & to give its cost to charity.
I only live in the past when I get drawn into it.

Sucellus

• Not So New ...
I apologise Tim, profile completed... Nice to make your acquaintance...

Without History, we are without roots.
Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Welcome Sucellus, the deep end is often the best place to jump in.   ;D

I try not to judge people too harshaly but none of us have been free of trials and tribulations and sometimes it's easier to sink than to fight your way out.  If these funds are going towards something honestly useful, then i would agree they are money well spent.  By the very nature of the lottery though, i have my doubts as to how useful they actually are.

If the men who used these women in the first place looked to themselves and how their actions contributed to the industry, i'd say that was helpful too.

:)

tim

• Hectare
So - to end on a sweet note??

A contemporary of mine.

A cheerful donor.

Just the ticket!!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
looks sweet. i am going to have to take a cycle ride round the embankment, maybe on the weekend :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

petemac

• Not So New ...
I hail from the midlands ,46,male,married and stand by my original post.
This site is for Allotment Holders and flower and vegetable enthusiasts.
There are dozens and dozens of sites Tim could of gone to.

If I become maginalised because of it that's to bad,I come on here for advice,not to be preached at.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal