Author Topic: Help! I need something fast for pots  (Read 2804 times)

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Help! I need something fast for pots
« on: March 09, 2004, 12:29:28 »
I urgently need ideas for some flower seeds small children can plant in little (i.e. can be carried by tots) that will be grown (or at least recognisably growing in children's terms) by Easter!  My leek and tomato seedlings do not fit this bill!

any help very gratefully received!

Thanks

Ceri

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Help! I need something fast for pots
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 13:53:28 »
I loved panseys and snapdragons as a kid (still do really, but then I am a big kid!) My snapdragon (can't spell antirinum) have self seeded all over the place and are up already, so that can't be hard to grow!

Or maybe mini sunflowers? Tall ones would obviously be too big for pots, but little ones, I'd have thought, would be fine.

Or something edible - some herbs. Basil, parsley? Strawberries? Although they probably wouldn't fruit until next year. lettuce? radishes?

The more I think about it, the more there seems to be!
gone to pot :D

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 14:39:49 »
Most of the Hardy annuals should fit the bill, particularly if grown under a bit of heat.

Not saying they will flower by then, but will certainly have plenty of leaves on them.

The Gardener

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 14:43:43 »
Ceri, I remember when I was little planting mustard and cress seeds in old eggshells that had faces painted on them.  When the 'hair ' grew they looked just like little men.  Just stick a few cotton balls in an empty shell, water and then sprinled some seeds in and Bobs your uncle.I know that they are not flowers but it may be worth a thought as they come up fairley quickly.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 14:51:06 »
and then there's germinating broad beans on blotting paper in a jar - as was done at juniour school. They would enjoy seeing how the seed grows, then watching the plant grow and eating the results. very educational!
gone to pot :D

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 17:15:16 »
thank you all for your ideas - they are to be sown to grow into plants that can be Easter presents to little old ladies of the parish (it wasn't my idea - honest!)  I'd forgotten about the eggs with 'hair' idea - used to love doing that as a kid - and I'd probably be quite amused now!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal