Author Topic: IVY  (Read 1421 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
IVY
« on: April 24, 2006, 21:13:45 »
Before I break my back can someone tell me if the roots of ivy are hard to dig out ?
The gardening group removed the ivy from the wall , just leaving  few inches near the ground. I want to put clematis in but am reluctant to do so when the ivy roots are still there in case the ivy resumes rapid growth and strangles my clematis. Many thanks.
Lorna

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: IVY
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 21:26:32 »
Lorna

This is my Ivy experience, for what its worth.

When we first moved here 15 years ago, I planted a wee ivy plant against the shed to green it up a bit.  Eventually the ivy was so big that every year it would cover the whole shed.

Then I decided that what we really needed was a total garden makeover and the old shed and ivy had to go.  Clipped everything down to the main stump - had to get the heavy squad out as the main branch was about 8" :o  I tried to dig it out but the roots..........well decided life was too short and incorporated it into the bed.

That was 3 years ago and I do have a clematis close to it.  In year 1, it didn't understand that it was no longer welcome and made strenuous efforts to grow and I made equally strenuous efforts to make sure it didn't by cutting back all the new growth.  Same last year but less growth, and so far this year nothing is sprouting.

Are you planting the clematis in the same hole? Might be an idea to move out a bit from the wall but just cut out any roots with the secateurs, fill the hole with compost and the clematis should be happy enough.

Good luck :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: IVY
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 22:26:03 »
SMP1704. Thanks for quick reply. I have three lots to get rid of. So I think I will give the idea of removing the roots a miss (thinking of my sciatica :)) I can plant the clematis in each case at least  one ft away from the ivy stump. Maybe my son can saw the stumps down to ground level and then like you have done I can watch AND ATTACK any new growth. I had the feeling it would mean hard work. Once again many thanks. Will look much nicer with a clematis in each spot.
Lorna.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal