Author Topic: Gardening Group  (Read 1713 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Gardening Group
« on: April 20, 2006, 17:22:26 »
I can't remember if I posted about this group last year or if it was before I joined A4A.
They are a group  who try to help people to get back into a working mode(Some have slight mental/depression problems)and they help over 60's with jobs they can't manage
I heard that the group had been disbanded but yesterday I had a phone call to ask would I like them to come again. YES PLEASE!!!
This morning they removed all the ivy from the front of the bungalow (I had been dreading that job) I can now put clematis there. They dug the area which I am going to use for salad and veg, dug the trench and put my rotted manure in the trench ready for my runner beans. Cut the lawns. They charged me £10.
Like  all visitors they were provided with tea/coffee and biscuits. I asked the lady in charge to accept an extra £5 to buy the workers some chocs. I am well pleased!!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Gardening Group
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 17:28:24 »
Thats good Lorna , saved you some work and worrying about it , now you will enjoy the planting won`t you . ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 18:49:39 »
Sounds great, Lorna - and everyone gains!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 19:54:06 »
Way to go, Lorna ;D  ;D 

Really pleased that you've got the heavy stuff done & remember to call on them again for anything else, won't you?  Groups like that disband (and get disheartened as well) if they're not used.

Cheers!

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 19:55:07 »
Lorna - that sounds brilliant.  Great for them to do the very physical stuff - you can get on with the planting  :D

Alison

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 21:04:08 »
;D

Terrific news Lorna, glad they could do the jobs that would be difficult for you. What a brilliant idea, wonder if they have it round here? Lots of my elderly clients could do with exactly that kind of help.

Good news about the ivy, it can be a b****r can't it?!!

;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 22:43:27 »
The "leader" said she will call me again in about 6 weeks..They were such a nice little group. Katy as for the ivy... Why did I plant the bl**dy stuff!!  I don't mind the variegated that is growing over the wrought iron arch and fence but the other two lots have GOT to go!!

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 13:30:36 »
That sounds brilliant, what a great idea. Everyone likes to be needed don't they? And its so often the heavy jobs that people cant manage. I wonder how to find out if theres anything like that in other areas?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 15:31:46 »
pansy, I originally got their telephone number from my daughter who saw it in a clinic her daughter had to attend..You could try your local NHS. I forgot to ask for their telephone number again but if she does ring me back I will ask where people can find similar thing in their area.
Lorna

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 17:46:18 »
Worth trying your local Age Concern or Neighbourhood Office.

:)

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 10:08:01 »
Thanks Lorna, and Alishka. I was wondering if there is anything like it where my parents live as they struggle with the harder jobs now and I dont live close enough to help out as much as I'd like.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 10:24:55 »
Also, libraries usually have leaflets of help groups in your area.

Good luck! Lishka

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 06:36:51 »
a splendid idea.  i wonder if we've got a group locally that could help an old girl like me saw the timber frames for the g/h.

it's so nice to hear about something positive going on.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 15:03:06 »
OI!!DON'T COME IT MRS YOU ARE A MERE YOUNGSTER ::) ::) ::) ::)
There was a young man in the group (A friend had sawn down two large conifers the day before) who said to me "I managed to get the roots out of one of the trees but afraid I couldn't manage the other one" Bless himm I didn't expect them to even try.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 15:13:08 »
OI!!DON'T COME IT MRS YOU ARE A MERE YOUNGSTER ::) ::) ::) ::)

Yes, but she's done a hellova lotta livin  ::) ;D ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 15:56:30 »
roflmao @ both of you.  i'm called the pensioner by most of the people i hang about and work with.   ;D

sawing is for big strong strapping types.   :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 16:02:04 »
Aha Mrs. KP, but do you have a 'twirlie'?

A twirlie, in Birmingham, is a Penshner's travel pass, to be used after 9.30am........so when the bus comes at 9.25, we hop out in the middle of the road, wave our passes at the driver and ask..." are we .....?

;D ;D ;D

(so......do you have a twirlie? Yes or No answer, please..)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 17:18:19 »
::)  :-\

that'll be a No but i do have an OH who I can't trust with a saw.  Does that count ?

;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 17:21:52 »
Ohhhhh (grudgingly) OK then, what do you say Lorna? :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal