Author Topic: Are any of you still paying for Broadband?  (Read 4105 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Are any of you still paying for Broadband?
« on: April 21, 2006, 19:25:25 »
If so why? ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Are any of you still paying for Broadband?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 19:43:36 »
Because??

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 20:16:47 »
;)  Well, are you going to let us into a secret   ;D ;D

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 20:31:31 »
Come on Roy TALK, TALK ? ;D

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 21:06:06 »
I ended my contract with Bt 3yrs ago, I went over to bulldog but when they were brought out by cable and wireless they upped the price so iI had them disconnect.  lo and behold my BT connection was still up.  so I had 15 months of free internet connection, ssssh dont say anything...lol
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 21:56:01 »
if you are talking about Talk Talk Roy then I will continue to use Telewest rather than risk the high contention on ADSL.If you think about it there will probably be a lot of people signing up to Talk Talk for BB,the more that sign up the slower and less stable your connection will become.It will also take quite a while to get everyone connected as Carphone Warehouse do not have the network to cope with the demand,as an interim solution they will connect you through the existing BT network at a cost to CW of roughly £140k per month (ouch) I don't know if they will be able to pay out like that for very long but you can pretty much guarantee there will be delays in connection, they say that the phone part of the package will be connected pretty quick.It might be worth a go but my connection with Cable has never failed me yet and all they seem to do is deliver faster and faster access speeds.I am now running at 10MB (uncapped of course) :D for the sum of £35 a month but I would rather pay more and be assured a good stable service.If your main internet usage is browsing I would go ahead and try it, if you need more from the connection I would be very wary about going ahead in it's infancy (look to Bulldog for misleading network speeds and poor connection stability).
Good luck with it I will watch with interest as a friend is also trying it, albeit as a secondary connection for 6 months until he is assured of the quality of service.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 22:26:15 »
We are not paying for Broadband cos WE CANNOT HAVE IT!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 22:56:35 »
Because??...Because Tim it’s free now I don’t want to sound like I am plugging a certain company because I am not, I just want peeps to enjoy free Broadband. ;)

Dirkdigger, you know what I am talking about…”Talk Talk” is the key, and it’s  free, something we don’t get much of in this country. ::)

Diesel, not sure it will help you as you are running 10MB (superfast Broadband) but suggest you barter with pressure, they may bend. :-\

For those that may have missed it, take a look at this (I swear I am not on commission or in anyway connected to the company).
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,26/topic,18685.0

Anyway in a nutshell, I contacted my existing supplier (“Telewest”) and told them I am moving to a new company that will supply free Broadband with ties, (tie being 18 month contract) I was not bluffing I had made the arrangements to move, my supplier didn’t want me to so they matched the deal. ;D

I now have a better phone line deal matching “Talk Talk” (saving £5 per month, plus perks) free broadband 24/7 at £21 per month instead of £51 per month phone & Broadband package. ;D

Is that good or is that B….. Brilliant. ;D

P.S. Sorry Eric, your time will come. :(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 22:58:42 by Roy Bham UK »

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 23:03:04 »
Good on ya Roy  :) and good on Telewest for matching it. Like I say I have always had a super service from them but I may try and chance a discount by telling them I am moving to the talk talk package, might be worth a try.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 23:29:08 by Diesel »

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 16:43:31 »
I'm still paying for same reason as Diesel.  I heard a Talk Talk spokesman being interviewed when their free broadband was announced.  He said they'd identified that people were more concerned about the price than the speed.  I may be in a minority but I'd rather pay for a guaranteed high speed.  Might switch to Talk Talk from BT for our landline calls though.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 22:44:46 »
The point is still being missed by some, I am not saying you have to swap to "Talk Talk" to get "Free Broadband" what I am trying to say is, your existing supplier cannot afford to lose the volume of customers to "Talk Talk" at this moment in time, (He/She who hesitates is lost) if after the dust has settled and the panic is over the best deals will be lost. ::)

If a multitude of customers switch to the said company then alot of existing company's will sink rapidly and they can't afford to let that happen...strike while the iron is hot, it worked for me my family and my friends...nuf said. 8)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 22:47:57 »
P.S. I'm tryin to help you Guys save money...time is money, don't let it slip away, unless your rich? which I'm deffo not. ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 23:13:18 »
We are with NTL on cable, generally pretty good, apart from occasional bandwidth problems mainly on weekends ... would I be right is assuming that the cable systems will also feel the pressure? (sorry for my ignorance here, but I am trying to stand back ... )
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 23:48:37 »
We are with NTL on cable, generally pretty good, apart from occasional bandwidth problems mainly on weekends ... would I be right is assuming that the cable systems will also feel the pressure? (sorry for my ignorance here, but I am trying to stand back ... )

I would assume so, as I am with a cable company and they were bending over backwards to keep us as existing customers. 8)

It will be interesting know how quickly these offers will be drifting away as time passes, as they can't last forever. :'(

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 06:45:03 »
here, come closer cos i'm whispering ......... when we first moved in UK Online screwed up the transfer from the old flat to here so we got four months refund and three months free which ran out in January.   ::)

No doubt they'll catch up with me eventually but if their billing department is as incompetent as their installation department, who am i to tell them.   :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 06:59:14 »
IM with you Roy but I'm tied to a 12 month contract :'(

Ricado

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 07:51:31 »
£14.99 a month virtually unlimited day and night with Pipex, no problems and a real fast connection.
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 10:01:10 »
£14.99 a month virtually unlimited day and night with Pipex, no problems and a real fast connection.

Zero Zilch a month virtually unlimited day and night with "Telewest", no problems and a real fast connection and £5 a month off my phone bill. ;D 8)

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 12:08:40 »
I would be careful with switching your broadband supplier for a number of reasons. Firstly, you may be tied to a contract and have to either pay a disconnection fee (usually about £50) or the remaining amount of your contract. Then, any new supplier offering an unbeatable offer will be swamped with people trying to join. I would think their customer service wont be able to cope, you may have to wait a long time to get switched over, check their help-line rates, check the views of existing customers (using a website such as adslguide.org.uk). Check the small-print. I heard somewhere that TalkTalk has a connection fee (£50 I think) and their contract is 18months.  Finally, with so many customers, will their lines be able busy so will their speed be up to standard? Check other suppliers who have had to introduce Fair Usage Policies, limit heavy users downlads, etc to try to give an even service across all of their customers.

I would always suggest talking to your existing supplier about their rates, speed, etc and THREATEN to leave to see what their response is. Infact, if you have a contact with ANY supplier for ANY service I would suggest talking to them about their rates and what the competition is offering. I have done this twice with Sky and had reductions in my monthly bill each time, have done it with Pipex and had a monthly fee reduction and an increase in speed and have suggested a relative does it with her mobile phone supplier to get a reduction in call rates. It  is well worth doing!

Just be careful is my advice. Anything that seems to good to be true, usually is. TalkTalk may be getting alot of press at the moment and it may mean that other suppliers have to increase their speeds, improve customer service, reduce their bills or a combination of all three, which isnt a bad thing. But TalkTalk will experience the same problems as all the other broadband suppliers - users maxing out their downloads, etc - the party cant go on forever!!!

Cheddar, Somerset

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 20:20:47 »
;D Tee hee nobody is really reading this stuff are they? Oh! well I tried ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal