Author Topic: More colour from my garden....well Tim did ask!  (Read 1330 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
More colour from my garden....well Tim did ask!
« on: April 21, 2006, 18:50:58 »
The garden is packed full of colour at the moment!  So much bursting out.  So, in addition to the photos of my garden from over easter, here are some new things that have burst out.  (sorry about the dodgy focus on some - the wind kept blowing and moving the plants about!!)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 18:53:18 by EJ - Emma Jane »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: More colour from my garden....well Tim did ask!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 19:34:17 »
Lovely fresh colours EJ. It is so lovely to see the gardens starting to bloom again.  I was particularly interested in your buttercup looking plant. We have what looks the same in our pond, as a pond plant, but I have never known what it was called.  What do you think,  - the same? I have just taken the pic and it is starting to get dark so not too clear. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 20:46:25 »
We've got the same one too BL.

Its a marginal plant called Caltha Palustris, ours is in flower just like EJ's.

Debs

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 22:20:48 »
That Caltha palustris, I think I have that, but with dark red leaves - is that a different variety?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 22:59:06 »
EJ. Absolutely fantastic.. I would love to have the name of  each plant added (Please)
You know I am in this LONG learning mode ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 23:09:09 »
I have always just thought of the yellow pond plant as a marsh marigold.  It grows in my garden borders also as my garden is a swamp for 9 months of the year!

The pink blossom is a weeping ornamental cherry that my mum and dad brought for me when I first left home in about 1994.  It has moved around with me and is now permanently planted in our woodland garden.  This year it is smothered in blossom and if this warm spell keeps up, the tree is going to look AMAZING by Sunday!

Then there is a rogue hyacinth....don't know where she came from !  I have 4 more to plant up there from bulbs that I brought cheap from the garden centre for indoor flowering.

Beside that is my fruiting cherry...not sure of the type, it is a bright red sweet cherry - a cheapo from Woolies a couple of years back.

The white shrub I can never remember the name of....I always think of it as the bridal plant as it gets covered in little white flowers and the branches are quite floppy in habit so it 'weeps'.  Smells like cats pee if you ask me!

Then last but by no means least, one of my fave early flowers, the Dicentra, or bleeding heart.  I have a white one also but she is much later to flower.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 23:59:36 »
Thanks Debs and EJ.  Ours is usually in flower too by now, but really late this year, perhaps because of the prolonged cold weather. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 09:25:15 »
EJ Many thanks. I should have recognised the bleeding heart. I have two which my daughter gave me, mine are both white and are just flowering now. I thought I had lost them (lack of knowledge) but up they have popped and look quite a bit bigger in their second year.. I love the  w.o. cherry.. You may remember since last year I have been introducing some shrubs etc but have to label them all so that I can remember what they are. ;D ;D The garden does still look a bit sparse but I don't want to make the mistake of planting too near each other. I do have lots of seeds which have germinated (kindly sent by members) which should give me much more colour this year. So won't be just fu*hsia and geraniums this year.
Have copied your list so that I can refer back.
Lorna.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal