Author Topic: Has anybody tried growing and eating Salsola Soda?  (Read 1208 times)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
Has anybody tried growing and eating Salsola Soda?
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:09:40 »
Have just ordered some seeds -
Any advice appreciated

Flossie

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Has anybody tried growing and eating Salsola Soda?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:25:21 »
Never heard of it before your post!
Googled on PFAF and found this though:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Salsola+soda
Looks like its the same family as beetroot, chard etc. Let us know how you get on and if it's any good to eat.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:31:30 »
Thanks for the link

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 12:33:09 »
I grew it last year Flossie. Meant to harvest seed myself but I think the frost got to them so they were not viable. I really liked it. Can't actually describe the flavour....although hubby reckoned it tasted like grass!!!....but then most veggies taste like grass to him ;D I used to steam mine for a few mins and then added butter to it. Had a very fresh taste. I hope you enjoy it. ;D

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 19:14:45 »
I grew it last year... it has a mild, crispy-crunchy slightly salty flavour, and once you've had enough in salads, then apparently it's good in soup (maybe a lighter noodle soup type of thing?).  It stumped the village show judges last year... had to explain what it was, how it was used, and the fact that it was (honestly, truly) a vegetable.

I didn't keep on top of some of the crop, and in the end it grew into a lovely rich-green candelabra-style path edging - much nicer than the 'official' border. A good dual plant: food & beauty.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal