Author Topic: Greenhouse construction help!  (Read 3007 times)

Niamh

• Not So New ...
Greenhouse construction help!
« on: March 13, 2006, 14:35:59 »
Hello,

I've been one of those 'lurkers' that Tim spoke of for several months now, but a crisis has emerged that I require assistance with. I ordered an 8ft by 6ft lean to greenhouse from B & Q 2 months ago. It seems that most of the greenhouse has arrived, except for 1 set of glass panes.

My question is, has anyone on this site ever constructed one of these greenhouses? Would it be worth my while to collect what has arrived, put together the sides and put in the glass in preparation for the other parts?

Thank you in advance for whatever help you can provide,

Niamh

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
Re: Greenhouse construction help!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 16:13:22 »
When I got mine (from BnQ) the glass arrived in multiple packs and one had to go back because of broken panes. However they seem to supply the glass for the doors and ends & some middle sections with a further pack or packs containing extra glass as required depending on the length of the ghse.

It will take a good afternoon to get the frame together and more time to glaze it so you could get the bits and make a start however I'd be concerned that the rest of it might never appear and you could end up with a very draughty green house. You could chase them up to see if the missing pack of glass was available from another local store and ask them to arrange transfer. It seems as if you've had quite a wait already!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 17:09:07 »
I would go ahead and construct the frame but leave what glass you have out until you have all of it.  March is a pretty windy month and if you have a gap in your glass (i.e. missing panes of glass) the rest could ' blow ' out quite easily.

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 18:01:10 »
roundtoit and Mike B,

thanks for your replies, that's what I reckoned also, I think I'll put together what is in, I can store the panels in my shed and do the final construction when the last set of glass arrives.

Another question, did you silicone the glass in or just use whatever glass clips were provided with the greenhouse kit?

Niamh

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 18:20:36 »
re: silicon

Mine came with a roll of rubber/plastic gasket to go between the frame and glass with the "W" clips to hold glass in place. Over lapping sheets are held by "s" shaped strips to support the higher pane on the lower.

Didnt use any sort of other sealer and the glass has stayed in place up to now (but I admit to cracking a sheet when trying to sweep out at the end of the season!).

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 19:06:47 »
I used putty on mine.

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 14:19:39 »
Again, thank you both for your excellent advice, I will wait to see what type of clips or otherwise are provided with the green house. My site is quite exposed and I may use silicon or putty just to be on the safe side. Will post a pic when it's all completed!

thanks again,

Niamh

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 22:55:52 »
I have just posted this advice a few minutes ago. - Put extra bolts in the slots, they will be very handy for putting hooks on and tying your plants to and putting your bubble wrap up etc. etc. etc.

Rosemary

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 12:40:01 »
good luck getting the missing panel out of B and Q. It took me about 2 weeks and numerous attempts to get a complete shed from them.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 20:33:11 »
I have a long (hillarious) saga saved on the computer when my (not so handy) husband built my first one - should I post it, maybe the whole week long episode, one day at a time? ;D

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 13:22:44 »
Thanks again everyone for words of wisdom, the missing parts are as of today still missing, but fingers crossed! Hopefully will have pic of finished product up by end of month!

Niamh

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 15:47:35 »
Final note,

I got my greenhouse yesterday, the 3rd of May, after it turned out that there hadn't been parts missing at all, but in fact they had sold the greenhouse I had ordered and paid for! Happy ending though, as the greenhouse I picked up yesterday was 10ft by 6ft, not the 8ft by 6ft I had ordered, but they gave it to me as recompense for the delay. I got another surprise when I actually got it home, the glass for the greenhouse is toughened, rather than horticultural, so another valuable freebie! :D :P

Will post pictures when it is up.

thanks everyone,

Niamh

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 17:59:01 »
well done Niamh.  it's good to hear a happy ending  ;D  now for the building   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal